Is shortening a semi frame a big deal?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Thermo-king APU would be expensive to have installed. $10-12k I would imagine. Dubious value IMO. It's cheaper and easier to spec those on the factory build.

Up to you but I'd be tempted to hook the trailer to it and put it to work right away rather than let it at Shipshe for half a year.

Roberts450 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Hoping already having an inverter and heater would maybe make it a lil cheaper. I think my comfort is worth it.

286 wheelbase with my trailer would be way too long in the areas I work and the truck is not setup to haul an electric trailer. Also my I insurance goes up over 9k to run the freightliner as a semi, not worth it with a 3 car. I'm still running my ram till the freightliner is ready.

4. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Can anyone help me find the model of this fifth wheel? Only marking I can find is the brand. Its a Holland.
    Trying to find out what its worth with the air slide bracket. Near mint condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Most likely an FW17 but you can call a freightliner dealer with your vin number and they should be able to email you the build sheet for the truck so you know everything that the truck came with off the assembly line.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  6. WOT

WOT Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Houston, TX
    She looks really nice! Congrats! I love finding a great deal on something, and then being able to configure it exactly the way I want it.

You mentioned doing something with the paint. Are you changing the color of the truck, or just talking about having the bed painted to match the existing color scheme?

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  7. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Having the bed painted maroon to match the truck. Truck's paint looks really good. It was a California truck and probably parked in closed storage. The metallic maroon color still sparkles.

8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    FW-35 I think but maybe because it's a no-lube plate the number is different. Not sure what these retail for. Probably a couple grand for the whole setup if I had to take a wild guess.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Im thinking FW33

Will be for sale very soon. Will put up fifth wheel with the whole air slide bracket + wheel covers + head rack with all chains and binders + wheel chain hangers and chassis steps + chassis covers up for sale soon.

Dropped my truck at Shipshe on thursday. Paul told me the secretary put customers on the waiting list without taking deposits so I might get my truck built by November. Sooner if anyone cancels their build.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Nice looking freightshaker

most are super ugly . that wheelbase had to be a special order , never seen one that long .

might have to take it to a dealer to get the trans unlocked.

also be a good idea to have the dealer pull the trouble code history from the computer . mans print it out along with all the service that was done under warranty .

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  11. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Nice truck. Having drilled a few frames in my time installing slid8ng fifth wheels. Yeah it use to be a real pain but today with magnetic drills it’s a lot easier, and safer than it use to be. Working on trucks for many years, I’d much rather shorten a truck up then to stretch one out. It’s basically as simple as sliding the axles and suspension forward and marking where you need to drill.

Will you be removing an axle during the process? If you are, you’ll need it shimmed to just right for the driveshaft angle. If you’re having a shop do the job, just make sure it’s something they’ve done many times before.

years ago you could have a truck stretched or shortened for as little as $1500.00. Some years back I heard it went up to $2500.00. I wouldn’t be suprised to hear it costs $5k/$6k now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.