Is Stevens Really The Best Training Company?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by RoadDriver -Andre, Aug 27, 2012.

1. RoadDriver -Andre

RoadDriver -Andre Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    State Of Georgia
    Guess I have to look into another company. I could use the advice Emulsified said about the RV parks, but It would cost me to much money to handle. I called in a place they told me $185 a week and I would require 2 weeks of resident there to change my license to Texas. I would pay for 2 weeks and that equals $370 to start the school at Stevens, and also would need the RV address again while im at the first week at Stevens to use to get my permit so thats another $185. That there is $555 already. Then I have to buy a bus ticket on my own to come down to Dallas so that might cost $150-200. $100 for registration and about another $100 for the CDL license. In total I would spend $955 just to attend a school. I will check out grants at my state unemployment office I just dont know if I will qualify and get one. If I dont I will look at other companies Swift, Prime, CR England, Roehl, Central Refrigerated, Driver Solutions, CRST.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Good luck man. It's just the schools in Texas affected as far as I know.

RoadDriver -Andre Thanks this.
  4. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    That law has been in effect in a lot of states well before now actually. But not all states.

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Only Texas, S. Dakota and Florida allow you to be a resident without actually living there. These three states have been used by retirees for years in establishing a residence and allowing them to live anywhere. Often these are the 'snowbirds' or people that live the gypsy lifestyle of RVr's.
    As a 'hit' on Texas for their fight against this adminstration, the Dept of Homeland Security came down on Texas' procedure of licensing out of staters, altho the same requirements exist in the other two states. The govt. alledges that Texas does so many more cases than the other two that they must be endangering the rest of citizens and could be aiding terrorists.
    Honest...I don't make this crap up!
    Never mind that there are more trucking companies and CDL schools in the midwest than anywhere else, most likely due to the favorable treatment those states provide to the industy.
    So the residency requirement changed to where you cannot use a motel for your address unless you provide a long term lease from that hotel.
    So one of the 'cottage' industries starting to spring up are people that allow out of staters to use their address as a home address and provide a lease showing that person now lives in Texas. The person never takes up residence there, they just show it on paper. I have heard of people charging anywhere from $50 to $100 for this priviledge. I don't know anyone personally doing it, but there are rumors that some people at Stevens provide this to good candidates at no charge, but I don't know who. I would assume recruiters might do it simply to make their numbers look better. I don't accuse anyone.
    So a person looking to establish residency here without blowing a wad of money might check with mail forwarding services that provide to the RVr's...tied to organizations such as Family Motor Coach Assn. (FMCA) or Good Sam Club. Their publications run ads for mail forwarding. Then in turn those mail forwarders might be able to guide you to establishing your driver's license here in Texas (legally).
    Just have to turn some stones.

6. CommanderUsmc

CommanderUsmc Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2012
    You know your stuff Emulsified.... Awesome... I just put in my ap with Stevens Transport today. I have been reading the threads.. Lot of good things I am hearing... by any chance you know how much a Newb like me would make in a year running 5 to 6 weeks out at a time?? Thanks for the insight...

7. CommanderUsmc

Aug 14, 2012
    Road Driver... Hey bud... I am looking into training with Stevens Transportation as well. Just so you know they have a training class in Denver Colorado. I do not know if you need to be a resident in Colorado for 2 weeks to get your CDL. Here is the link from their web site. I have submitted an on line application and I have a call in with a recruiter. I will give you the heads up when I hear anything...

http://www.stevenstransport.com/truck-driving-schools/denver/

Here is a recruiter you can call...
    Denver, CO

Manager: Josie Garza | Phone: 800-333-8595 / | Email:jgarza@stevenstransport.com

[​IMG]

8. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    That number can be all over the board, however if you apply yourself and have some luck a first year driver should earn between $33-40,000. There are some that do better, some worse, but mid to upper 30's seems to be a safe number.

9. CommanderUsmc

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks for the info... still waiting to hear back... recruiting says it will take 48 hours to process my ap and call me back. I read some things about guys being turned down due to breaks in employment over 5 months long in the past 3 years. I am retired with a Pension from the government and I do not have to work. I have taken some part time jobs in the past 3 years for extra money to vacation with, but these were low paying jobs that did not last more then 6 months. Do you think that is gonna be an issue with Stevens? I have proof and pay check stubs to show Stevens I have a pension and I really do not need to work. It is not like I was 35 years old, unemployed and living at home at my parents house with a 3 ft bong in the middle of my room playing video games all day.. lol.

10. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm registered in S.Dakota and use Good Sam for their on-line mail forwarding service. Go to their website if interested.

11. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I do the same thing. Have for years. Alternative Resources?

Dryver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.