Is Stevens Really The Best Training Company?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by RoadDriver -Andre, Aug 27, 2012.

1. RoadDriver -Andre

RoadDriver -Andre Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    State Of Georgia
    So wait, I still have a chance to attend a school through them? Is the school in Colorado the same as the one in Dallas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. worldtrvlr

worldtrvlr Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hope Hull, Alabama
    To let you know:

I confronted the top Stevens recruiter when he visited Great Lakes Driving School in Ohio. I asked him how many drivers they wil hire this year and he thought he was going to look good by how many students and drivers they hire. He said "about 2000". I asked how many drivers Stevens had and it worked-out to a 112% turnover per year. That means that they replace more than ever driver every year. This guy was blowing so much smoke I had to leave. That should tell you what it is like to driver there-replacing the whole fleet of drivers (by the numbers) every year. Enough said.

4. worldtrvlr

worldtrvlr Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hope Hull, Alabama
    As posted below. They have a 112% driver turnover per year. (This is direct from their top nationwide traveling recruiter) Do you know what that means? Don't let fancy trucks persuade you. Stevens is a place if you have absolutely no place to go and thats about it. They are in a category with PAM, Swift, USA Truck, CRST, and the likes.

5. CommanderUsmc

CommanderUsmc Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2012
    yes.. they have a school in Colorado.... I am waiting for a recruiter to call me back to confirm. I submitted an application with them and they said it take about 48 hours for them to get back to ya... I am in your same situation my friend so I will keep you posted. I should hear something tomorrow or worst case on Thursday... check out the website for more info or call the 1800 number... good luck buddy..

6. RoadDriver -Andre

RoadDriver -Andre Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    State Of Georgia
    Earlier in the afternoon I spoke to a recruiter name Clayton. He told me some info about the school and how much money I would need to come. He send a application to my email to fill out and to reply it back to him to get me started. He also told me If I have any questions to write them down and call him. The only problem is that I have to pay my way to the school in Colorado. Guess I will just be taking the bus there because its cheaper. I hope this will workout for me

7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I heard that AARP has a similar service for us old farts but that won't help the pimply youth.

8. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    And you think that number is any different and any of the other training companies? People get into this industry everyday, thinking its some pie job, sittin behind a steering wheel making 100K a year. They get out here and realize that it is actually a job. That they actually have to think, and work, and that the first year their only making 30-40 k. And to top it off, they thought they could handle being away from home so much. #### happens and they leave. All of this is providing they actually make it through training, and have enough gumption to study and pass the driving test to get their CDL. Or that they dont get sent home for health reasons or from lying on their app.

So yes .. the turnover rate at a Training company is high. What a ##### news flash. Better call CNN and break the story!!!!

Emulsified and Dieselten77 Thank this.
  9. RapidRichard

RapidRichard Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2012

Hi CommanderUMSC,

I am currently in my second week at the Denver, Co school for Stevens Transport Training. My class has a Marine in it. We should be graduating a week from Friday and reporting to Dallas, Tx the following Sunday for our "Orientation I".

To give some of my background, I have over 25 years of Information Technology (IT) experience. I have decided to become a truck driver. I have been in more training classes than I can count for computer technology training. So, I have learned about good and bad instructors. Let me tell ya -> EVERY INSTRCTOR HAS BEEN TOP NOTCH in this school! They are VERY FUNNY and EXPERIENCED (10 years+++ - everyone I've met so far)! I am SO GLAD I came to school in Denver!

I did NOT get any responses via emailing "Josie Garza" at jgarza@stevenstransport. When I called the number, the phone was answered quickly!

My class and I have spent 90% of our time working with the trucks: driving, pre-trip inspections, or driving, or pre-trip insprections, or driving, or pre-trip insprections, or driving, or pre-trip insprections! (LMAO) We have been given a PDTI-Certified "Tractor-Trailer Driver Training Manual" that we are required to know by the end of class. So, we spend time reading it in the evenings (homework). Side note: I have been told by other students and forums that other Truck Driving Schools have you in the classroom learning the book and driving simulators the first two weeks. In these schools, students dont even get to see a "Big Rig" until their third week. Well, we started performing "Pre-Trip" inspections on the actual "Big Rigs" on our second day!

FYI ----->

Colorado states in the their "Commerical Driver License (CDL)" manual (page 1.2):

To receive the CDL Instruction Permit you must:
    - Have a Colorado regular driver's license
    - Show accetable legal presence documentation (to me: this means residency?)
    - Show acceptable identification

Now, I would check with the school on this idea. But, I wonder if you could get your permit in your current state, then come to Colorado to get your training?

From what I have seen at this school, I believe this might be one of the "BEST" CDL training schools in the country! I wont know for sure until I go to Dallas one week from Sunday.

RapidRichard

10. RapidRichard

RapidRichard Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2012
    CommanderUSMC,

When I talked to Kristina (Stevens Recruiter), she performed a very thorough background check (driving, criminal, and job history). If you can document your job history (unemployed and employed), then it should not be a problem. You might have to document your unemployed time by using references from friend. You can NOT use family. She said that family would lie about anything to protect a family member. But, a friend, not so much.

RapidRichard

CommanderUsmc Thanks this.
  11. CommanderUsmc

CommanderUsmc Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2012

Just a thought... if you can not affort a bus ride out that way... get with the recruiter and see if perhaps there will be a Stevens driver in your area that could give you a ride back to Denver?? I can not imagine a bus ticket being that much? Road Driver... beg barrow and .. well don't steal.. but get that bus ticket out there buddy... Perhaps if I get a start date with Stevens and you still have not made it out that way I would even purchase a bus ticket for you... Let's see how it goes... Don't give up!!! BTW Where are you coming from and how much is the bus ticket???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.