Is there an atlas/book with road weight limits?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Jan 3, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Every once in a while I find myself in a truck route/bridge with a weight limit lower than 40 tons (80k). It seems like all we really have is the signs posted on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will want to examine the bridge in question for a red and white sign near the ground, about the size of a notebook. It will bear the values for a axle loading of a three axle pumper truck fire dept ratings in tandem weight in tons and steer axle weight. Sometimes hook and ladder trailer values are provided along with two axle pumper values.

You literally will find that all bridges in the USA is case by case in weight rating. Interstate bridges have a certain tonnage limits way beyond our pitiful 40 ton. When you get down into say New Haven Connecticut by the water and are confronted by a ten ton drawbridge you cannot cross it. That is where you stop call the Law to come out and assist. They are more than happy to assist you. I have done that several times. Once I encounter a bridge like that either weight or clearance, I make a note of it in the atlas (Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas only, laminated plastic pages taking a certain marker. and a notebook containing by state using bible blank tabs for them. To maintain a list of bad shippers, recievers, bridges and so on.)

Nothing computer. Just all paper.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

tucker Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you know the state/county you will be in for questionable roads, you can check the county's road commission website.
    A lot have that information. I know, not convenient, but at least something more than waiting until you get there and see the sign.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    BillStep and PE_T Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I have actually used that method for some states like North Carolina. It has more detailed information compared to a regular trucker atlas.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    BillStep Thanks this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It has more detailed local road info.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.