IS THERE ANY COMPANYS THAT HAVE W900 or Pete 379

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cowboy385, Dec 8, 2007.

1. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Ya know, that's a good question. When I was customizing my last Pete I went to a smaller steering wheel and it felt a lot better.

Back when FordMotorCompany made big trucks, they incorporated some of their pick-up truck components into the big trucks.(Door handles, dash switches etc.)
    At my first job they had two cabover Fords, 70s vintage. The steering wheel was identical to the one in my F-100. I always thought it felt kind of sporty.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I remember getting a new job and going from a 300 Cummins into a 400 Cummins with a 9 over. Man, I thought I was big time then.

4. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    Learning on a harder-to-drive truck benefits you. That means you'll be better prepared when you get out of school and get assigned your own tractor. I got the same benefit because my trainer had a W900.

That said, the main reason these trucks are harder to drive than typical fleet trucks are:

- Generally longer wheelbase and wider turning radius, making it hard to maneuver in tight spots
    - The large hood DOES limit visibility (some people mount extra mirrors on the fender to show you what's directly in front of the truck)
    - This is minor, but: It is more common to see 13-speed, 15-speed and 18-speed transmissions, which can take a little getting used to for someone used to a 10-speed

Other than those factors, they're a truck like any other. They're nicer, but driving them isn't that different.

5. pandapowerz

pandapowerz Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I know this is an old post but , What do you do when the power steering goes out? Unless you got hulk hogan ape arms it's going to be pretty tricky. I rode with a driver for a van line and the whole thing died. Saw him struggle to get it off the road safely and he had huge arms from being a mover.

6. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    That's a valid point, but I don't know what kind of truck that was.
    In today's trucks, the power steering is mechanically(no belts) driven.
    Even if the engine dies, as long as the truck is coasting and you leave it in gear, you will have power steering.

7. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH

Devil's Advocate here: what about jake failure resulting in a valve meeting the piston and engine no longer turns? Or if there is a problem with oil delivery and the engine seizes?

Smaller steering wheels would also likely increase the outside diameter of those larger truckers, 'cause there'd be more room! hahaha

8. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Athough not an everyday occurence, a valid point nonetheless.
    Yeah, some of those guys need all the extra clearance they can get.

9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You ain't even made the down payment. i put 3 years in a 1972 White Freightliner, 156 in WB, spring ride, no power anything. Texas to nothern Alberta, Calif to philly and everywhere in between.

but I do have a 379 with everything now.

MUSTANGGT Thanks this.
  10. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I bet you remember torsion bar suspension. I drove a '77 KW K-100 for several years with it. A real backbreaker.

What was worse was that rubber block suspension. Don't remember who made it.
    I drove a mid 80s Volvo/White that had it. Like no suspension at all really.

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

:biggrin_2554:

We playin a round of my internet prick is bigger than yours?

Good for you that you've done it longer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.