Is there any practical use for a trolley break?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bazerk Wizz Bang!, May 2, 2011.

1. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    Sorry, no pic and I admit my memory is kinda sketchy. The last truck I remember having a blue knob was an '81 359. It was all the way to the right of the other knobs the best I recall. It worked the tractor brakes only. If you had a trailer hooked up, you had to push in all three knobs to release all the brakes.

I guess it was about that time that they started changing the regs on the tractor protection valves because I think I had an '83 that didn't have the blue knob and I think I also remember seeing another '81 Pete that only had two knobs. But those could have just been a difference in specs. Or all of this could just be faulty memory. LOL

ac120 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I had a '95 FLD and it had the blue knob. My '98 Century Class didn't; the dash just looked so empty without that blue knob! Man, I was heartbroken the first time I looked inside.

4. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH
    I drive a 1999 Mack, it's got the blue knob. Round, to the right of the yellow knob; it operates the tractor parking brakes. With this configuration, the red knob supplies the trailer, yellow knob supplies the entire system, and as I said earlier blue is for the tractor only. I'll grab a picture in the next day or so to satisfy everyone's curiosity. (I'm warning you, it's not all that special though.)

It should be noted that this truck has been rolled over and rebuilt, is known as "Old Iron Ride" and this may or may not be how they are supposed to be set up. I've been told it started life as a dump truck on top of all that. Pretty good truck for a rookie though. It shows 600,000 on the odometer, I ran into a guy who said he used to drive for the same outfit and it had 777,777 when he left, but I'm not sure the math works out for a 1999 truck used locally.

As for the Johnson bar, I use it during pre-trips and to get the spring brakes to release on one of our older, more finicky lowbeds. Hopefully

I haven't used the Johnson bar off road yet, anyone care to give me some hints? (I haul wood chips, stump grindings, logs, and the associated heavy equipment if that matters)

ac120 Thanks this.
  5. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Poquoson, VA
    Being Serious now about the trolley valve Many use it for sliding the tandems, many of the older trucks did not have a spring on the trolley and you could pull it down and it would hold there until you pushed it back up, now the truck manufacturers have put springs in them where they release quickly in the event you accidentally hit the bar.
    My 09 pete had the spring on it and #### it was fast, I was taught to use it in the event of trailer slide( jack knife) used properly it will help bring the trailer back behind you.

ac120 Thanks this.
  6. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    I don't see where he was "damaging" anyone else's equipment.

I had the blue knob on the '79 W900 I drove years ago. Also had the low air warning sign that dropped down in front of your face. I miss that truck. Great truck, that one.

7. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I remember hearing about those. Weren't they called "wig-wags" or something like that? They really sent a message to the driver!

8. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Wearing out someone else's brakes is damage.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. Jack Smithton

Jack Smithton Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    so cal
    "If you ever drive a truck and trailer, that's when you have cargo on the power unit and you pull a trailer but way of a pintle hook, you can use the bar to apply brakes to slide the trailer if you get into a very close area. What you do is lock your divider in go in reverse slowly and pull down on the bar and apply some power. The trailer will lock and you'll slide the trailer over to the side a couple of feet. Then you pull foward and leave. That's an old trick gas haulers use when they have to get an oversize truck into a gasoline station that was built many years ago."

Gashauler - Can you explain how that worked? How would you determine which way the trailer would slide? If you are only sliding the front axle of the trailer, couldn't you just "seesaw" the truck to move the front axle of the trailer? I just can't picture it. Thanks.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  10. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    found the use for the trollehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uTiB-I0PQ&feature=player_detailpagey brake

11. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.