Is there anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by rccarlson22, Dec 11, 2020.

1. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    I booked a load for what was posted at:

35ft
    12k lbs
    Various pieces of metal

I show up and find out this is a full truckload (by weight not size) The rate con I got only had the weight at 12k lbs. I asked for a TONU but the broker refused. Is there anything I can do in this situation to get a TONU or some $$?

alds and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I think your sol..
    Bad mouth em the best you can, anywhere you can..
    If you got off a load board leave negative reviews..
    File complaint with the main/corporate office..
    Put em the list "do not use" list. Bout all I've been able to do..

Matter of fact, some accented individual at Landstar Ranger got me a few months back too. Sent me into the Keen yard at Pooler. Deadhead up from Savannah oh 100 mile or so, checked in & sat for an hour before the gal at the desk called me to come in. Told me my machine won't be ready for another day or 2. Called to tell this joker what's up, & got the run around about sending me a TONU for a few days..

Was going to file on Landstar's bond, but a few guys told me you can't file for TONU.? Probably should have done so just to be a nuisance..

alds, Lite bug, rccarlson22 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    If you have an actual rate con with that weight, then load 12k lbs, and that's it. Or tell them if they want the rest on the deck, they need to send a new rate con. Isn't that how it works? What did you end up doing?

5. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Also, you have a truck that can haul 48' and 48k. Bill the line haul like it's a full load every time, even if they only want to haul one pallet. You aren't an LTL company. That way when it's bigger or heavier than advertised, it doesn't matter, because you're still getting paid. I just had a broker try to get me at a lower rate, because it was a partial based on size.(15' of deck space) I said I don't have the time or the patience to try and piece together multiple loads, so it needs to pay based on a full load, or not at all. I told them my rate. They said the customer would never go for it, but they would try. We didn't even get off the phone before the customer emailed back: "Yes, please!". I got there, and it was six huge excavator buckets, and it took up the entire deck. Partial my ###... But it didn't matter, because I billed based on a truckload to begin with.

6. rccarlson22

Aug 27, 2019

The shipper wouldn’t split the load. They would only load a full size flatbed.

I have a 40’ hotshot

7. rccarlson22

Aug 27, 2019
    On the bright side I get the weekend off with my family, can’t beat that

8. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

I'm guessing he can't load all of the steel even if he wanted too.? Maybe ~20k lb on deck max as hotshot.? That's all mine would take before the wagon started screaming..

Couple issues I see..
    1 unless he has air scales on his wagon, or the individual pieces are of know weight, it may be hard to get close to 12k on there..

2 More than likely the shipper isn't going to want to break up a legal load for a regular truck, & pay twice to ship it..

3 Assuming it was booked as a FTL, they sort of have all the deck space available to them already. It's the weight that's the problem, & seems harder to get more money over misquoted lbs vs length.

When doing LTL's & they blow your next pickup over weight I have got more money to cover the lost revenue of the other load I could no longer scale. Typically 1500-2000lbs over before they open their checkbook. Same for size while doing LTL's. 18 inches over quoted length, & I'm ringing them. Deck space by the foot is at a premium when playing the LTL game for me..

Really the broker eff'ed up here & needs to own it, but is showing signs of being a sack of sheet person.. The $150 usually offered TONU is a slap in the face to begin with. Really needs to just pay the fella & move on, but not likely if he's here asking about it..

9. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Haha..

Sorry guys, I'm a slooooooooww typer..
    :D

10. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Ahh, I saw this from "New Posts". I didn't realize it was in the hotshot section. Yeah, that changes things, lol.

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    To answer the question...

Is it in a contract for a TONU? Rate con or carrier packet?
    If it is you can take it to court as filing on their bond will fail. Bond is only for freight fees, not accessorials like detention and tonu.

If it's not in a contact anywhere they don't owe you anything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.