Is there money to be made hot shotting as a side gig?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by madmedic8526, Oct 3, 2020.

1. baerpath

baerpath Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Look into lumber yards and equipment dealers. That is where we started It's local work but it's on call to start but if you can get in the door they can be more than full time. At your point I'd shy away from CDL if you can get a non cdl like here in NY (150 mile radius, no drug screen or log book cheaper insurance) to start. Also on non cdl in NY you can run over 26,000

Lite bug and madmedic8526 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    If your original plan doesn’t work out you may try this. This may be a good way to a class A CDL and they will probably be a good fit for your FD schedule. Start out working the dock and moving trailers around in the yard and then they would help you get your CDL. When you retire you could easily transition to full time. 1DDC8F45-3F64-411C-9313-63E404560F54.png 1989E568-20F9-468C-AC4A-905AABB576F7.png

4. nicky15

nicky15 Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Sorry to drudge up an old thread. Madmedic, wondering if you made any progress on this research-wise? I am also interested in doing it part time like you. Don't need to drive full time to pay bills, so think that would help keep my expenses down. I work a 7on/7 off schedule. I live across the river in Illinois. Maybe we could team drive, lol!
    I have a class B for 10 years now, that I got for hauling grain trucks on the farm, so was also thinking of getting a box truck, but have trouble with finding decent loads. (I signed up for free trial on dat loadboard) Anyway just rambling, if anyone wants to share some thoughts(related or not lol) I'd appreciate it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    There’s a few Companies that haul Campers out of Northern Indiana. Right now Campers have been selling good. Doesn’t pay a lot, isn’t consistent either. But as a part time take it or leave it situation. Might just work. A 3/4 ton Pick up, Dually or a 250 Van is all that’s needed. Expedite, like hotshot is great when it’s booming. Terrible when it’s not. Good Luck.

nicky15 Thanks this.
  6. nicky15

nicky15 Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Thanks for the reply Ride. I understand there may be non consistent work, and would be ok with that going in. My biggest hesitation to starting is insurance. Do you think it would eat me alive, only running part time, paying full rate for insurance? I just thought of this, is there a mileage based insurance? When looking at driving record, does insurance go all the way back or only so many years? Had some speeding tickets as a young'un but none in at least 5 years.

Edited because I goofed up

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t think so. The public Liability insurance would be provided by the Carrier you’re leasing onto, its in they’re name. Rate paid to you would dictate wether or not they charged you back. I don’t know how they work. Trucking Companies that provide free Liability, usually expect a certain amount of work to cover they’re costs. Either way, your pay will reflect the cost. Usually you pay a small non Trucking Liability insurance fee.( bobtail) insurance. Wouldn’t be much. Covers you while deadheading. The problem with campers is they go one way. Then drive back. MPGs are a big factor. I think the Diesels do well in that regard running empty back. I’ve met a lot of retirees, Farmers, etc. over the years, that supplement they’re income ,part time, while taking a road trip. Often they use magnetic signs. Take them off when empty. Best to call them, find out. I don’t know much about how they operate.

stuckinthemud and Lite bug Thank this.
  8. jameses1982

jameses1982 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    OP, you can start a part time gig with a commercially insured Diesel truck. Run as a contractor, under someone else authority. It truly depends on what you want to do. I watched guys start car hauling with a F150, single car trailer and a dream. If you just want something on your off days driving part time through a staffing agency might be a good way to gain experience and make your insurance affordable after two years experience.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.