Is there truth in this statement about O/O income?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MonetaryWage, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Many won't like my plan. I don't chase every $$$. My plan is more reliable hauling the same loads for customers. I leave only small room for SPOT market. I am not making/working as much as others.
    With costs up, I am not getting rich.
    But I'm not going down.

****The good part is I bought a used truck along with a trailer before the Pandemic. I paid for my equipment using old market prices. If I would have to sell my business, it would pay off my mortgage. :) I didn't lose anything.

But the equipment isn't new and with prices up and part shortage, it eats up quite a bit. I'm almost done paying off the truck. I paid off the trailer.

What I'm worried is what I will do in a few years. If prices will stay so high and I'm going to be in need of a new equipment then I might leave this business. It might not be worth it. I don't know. I hope either the prices for equipment going down or rates going way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Jed2009 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Ummm, so costs are up but you dont increase your rates to your customer?

That seems like slow suicide, at very least your fuel and cost of living adjustment (read roughly inflation) should increase as you go

Vampire, Beaver9, Ruthless and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I raised only by 10%. Spot Market TOP rates for the same lane are about 15-20% more than mine. Not all brokers pay top rates. But when rates will go down, my rates are locked.
    I only have that agreement with two brokers who run the same loads. And I work with one shipper who doesn't like when I ask for a raise. When getting a load off DAT then I ask for the top price I can get off the board.

Two brokers send me loads one week in advance. And I work with the same shipper on a weekly basis twice a week. The shipper pays the same day by comcheck. No fees for issuing the comcheck. So, I always have some money every week if other payments are coming late. I leave a bit of room for Spot Market. But this week my loads were booked last week.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Vampire and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  5. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Gross earnings mean nothing

it’s the net profit that matters .

Vampire and goga Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.