Is this a red flag

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by TurkeyCreekJackJohnson, Feb 10, 2024.

1. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    A UT OTR Company website state "25th year of operation..." "73662 loads delivered" "51,626,862 Miles driven" but has a DOT# in the 5xxxxx's.

The CSA score doesn't look crazy to me, but I'm no expert in interpretation of a CSA score as it pertains to employer suitability.

Maybe some could share their thoughts on both?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    A six digit DOT number starting with a 5? That is a good sign.

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Thanks this.
  4. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    Thanks! I double checked to make sure I typed it correctly against what I read. Yup 6 digits. I had dealings recently with a company that 7 digits starting with a 4. I don't fully understand the correlation. But some folks were surprised at a 7 digit number beginning in a 4. I think I will look closer at this company. Thanks again for your insights.

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The higher the DOT number the newer the company.

6. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    Is there a possibility where a new company could get an old DOT#? Thanks for your help.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yes a new company or person can buy the old company and continue to operate as is. Using the old Name , DOT and MC numbers.

8. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    So I have found instances that caused me concern that I recently have experienced.

I'm being contacted with job offers but the person contacting me refuses to give company name and DOT#. They want you call or fill out their application, then they will answer questions. Seem like a red flag to me

Some of the "companies" that do provide a DOT#, their business address is just a house or an apartment. Should I discount these companies or do a lot of trucking companies operate out of a house or apartment?

9. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    Also a lot of 1 truck and one driver on there CSA page.

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I'd spoken to a large carrier before -- the recruiter wanted me to fill out an app before she would answer any of my questions.

It happens.

I moved on.

The house or apartment location tells me the carrier(s) in question must be a VERY SMALL fleet.

Probably a bit too small.

The conventional wisdom suggests that the best trucking fleets (generally speaking) are mid-sized (like at least 500 tractors).

If you sign up with a really small fleet....and the economy tanks (as more are predicting of late)....you could be looking for another gig before long.

Personally, given your history -- I think you deserve better.

A LOT better.

BTW: what did you learn (if anything) from Lone Star, in Texas?

-- L

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Thanks this.
  11. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    That's what what was in my mind. My last company only had 3 trucks. But the owner did have an actual office at one of those shared executive office things. However, my truck need a complete emissions replacement and just like that I'm unemployed.

No answer from lonestar to the email I sent. I have clear day tomorrow so I'm going to call the recruiter line. More to follow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.