Is this acceptable and realistic?

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by alex24, Apr 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex24

alex24 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2023
    Hello,

I am an economy student who is really interested in trucking. I have spent a lot of time learning about trucks, regulations, brokers, shippers, dispatching, etc.
    I want to start working. My idea is to find a owner operator who would be glad to hand over all administrative, load-finding, paperwork, etc. to me. I would me glad to work 2-3 moths for free and do whatever he needs me to do. After a "trial" or "learning" period, I would like to continue working for a fee that would be determinated by OO it self.

Would you, as an owner operator, accept such an offer? Why or why not?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018

I wouldn’t, since you have zero real world experience but I think you’re going about this backwards

Instead of finding an o/o to practice on , it seems it would be better for you to find someone who currently does what you’re wanting to learn , who isn’t afraid to share what they’ve learned how to do .

that might be impossible though .

truckers and dispatchers generally do not like to share what they know since they think that will increase the competition so
    Much that they won’t be able to make a profit anymore .

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  4. alex24

alex24 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2023
    Thank you for the answer. My way of thinking was that OO that works everything by himself would find a good deal exchanging his knowledge wor a pair of extra hands.

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Like @roundhouse said, you’re approach is a bit backwards.

Your best bet is to find a smaller “trucking” company near your home and sell them on you. Sell yourself into an internship that could lead into a possible job.

We are heavily regulated and the possibility of being audited is very real, by ifta, irs, dot, etc… We also spend a lot of time and put a lot of effort into building relationships that you could ultimately jeopardize.

If you post the area you live in some members here may be able to give you some prospective company’s who’s door you could knock on.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No way.

here is why.

learning how it works without starting at the bottom will lead to a disaster. There are things that even some people who work for me would miss and cause losses in revenue, loss of reputation and may lead to a disaster that would bankrupt me.

I have a general manager who has 35 years of experience in the industry, 27 driving alone. He has two others who work for him at each location and still there are times when his decisions would make a mess of things.

Even a single truck owner having someone who never worked in the industry would be the same issues, making mistakes even with a bad load or two could lead to an unrecoverable mistake and bankruptcy.

The single truck operation isn’t the same as a fleet, but the fleet operation experience can be easily applied to a single truck operation.

If you are truly serious, you start with getting your cdl and drive for someone who can teach you and let you pick your own loads, then advance after a year or so.

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    What is it that you ultimately want to do, drive, or handle the business end of trucking?

If the former, I think all of the administrative things you're wanting to do would distract you from learning how to drive safely, which should be your very first priority if you're going to drive.

OTOH, if you're more interested in doing the office work than in driving then you could certainly hire on to an established carrier as an admin or dispatcher and learn the ropes that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.