Is this considered personal conveyance when parking at home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flyingdriver, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Correct... Although it may not be advancing a load, it is repositioning equipment in preparation of future use.

Personally I think that is total BS... But it is what it is. I think that FMCSA should make it that a driver can PC home provided he meets the following requirements....

1) PC movement will not take more than 3 hours.

2) Truck and/or Trailer is empty, or bobtail.

3) PC movement ends at, or near, drivers personal residence or company terminal.

4) Immediately following PC movement, driver goes Off Duty for at least 34 consecutive hours.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    If the receiver doesn’t have parking and forces you to leave the exception is if the terminal is the nearest safe location. I don’t know if a house would be considered a safe location. I’ve delivered in LA and had to PC for almost an hour to get back to Ontario, CA. The TSs there and my yard both met the nearby definition.

I would check with your company to see what they consider meets the definition of a safe location. My log audit strongly prefers TSs and places like interstate rest areas or plazas.

4. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    Well I was going by this paragraph in the regulations.
    1. Commuting between the driver’s terminal and his or her residence, between trailer-drop lots and the driver’s residence, and between work sites and his or her residence. In these scenarios, the commuting distance combined with the release from work and start to work times must allow the driver enough time to obtain the required restorative rest as to ensure the driver is not fatigued.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While true, there is a difference in commuting and being dispatched.
    If you know there is a loaded trailer waiting on you, then you are dispatched.
    If you go to the yard because you have a start time then it's a commute

6. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    Yes after rereading this it looks like I should not use PC when enroute to the shipper but I should be ok when returning home after completing the load.

ZVar Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    PC used to be about bobtailing home or going from a terminal to a hotel or a store. With the FMCSA bringing in the 14-hour clock and with some shippers/receivers not giving a dang about these clocks the FMCSA also allows a driver to PC to the closest safe place to park. I think the FMCSA could fix this issue with the 14-hour clock and allow PC to go back to what it was designed to be to start with. If I had my rather the FMCSA would use their interstate authority to slap down these businesses that disrespect a driver's time as they do. Instead, the FMCSA wimps out with these ignorant PC rules. This entire thing has went way beyond stupid!

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Only if the shipper/receiver doesn't allow parking on site. But yes, they keep trying to tighten up the guidance while allowing "common sense" moves, but it just leads to more abuse.

9. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    Maybe, if it’s a terminal or drop lot then it should be fine. You would PC back to that location to start your clock.

A shipper or receiver isn’t a work site; that term was intended for construction sites. If your company keeps trailers at a customer, they could maybe meet the definition of a drop lot.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Only if he's going there "on his own" so to speak. If he's been dispatched there he's on duty. Doesn't matter he started at home, he's under dispatch.
    And yes, a dispatch is as simple as "Every Monday you go to customer x and pick up a loaded trailer."

11. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    If he wants to be dispatched from home, I would go there on the driveline. It would essentially be a dh with a detour (not much of a detour for him) and a layover.

Check with your company; mine won’t dispatch a driver until they’ve returned to the yard or drop lot if they bobtailed for hometime.

ZVar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.