Is this feasible, and resonable?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 2pist, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    That is a great idea! Safe trip.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2pist

2pist Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Ogden, Utah
    I'm back! did a quick run. All was fine other than the morning baby wipe shower. That might take a little getting used to.

Here is my question, this guy swears that if I get my permit, I can run with him for six weeks training, get my license, Then run as a team for six months to obtain enough experience to buy my own truck and hire on as a O/O. All with Swifts blessing. He is a L/O and been with Swift for ten years. My concern is three months down the road we both get fired. And I end up with nothing. This is the kind of guy that doesn't necessarily play by the rules. I have known him for a long time. He is smart enough to make it work in his world, me, I have my doubts.

4. producepimp

producepimp Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2010
    just do it

5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Is Swift going to give you a letter or reccomendation to your insurance company that you actually have this 6 months experience? Big carriers like Swift traditionally have a very structured training system. I haven't heard you mention your buddy doing training before so I am guessing he does not do it regularily.

I see a disaster on the horizon.

6. producepimp

producepimp Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2010

might be time for you to pull over driver

7. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY

The last thing you need in a "short cut" is being shown the wrong way to do it by some one who dosn't play by the rules:biggrin_25513:, Find a PTDI certified school pay the $4-5 grand and then you'll not only have your cdl but enough skill and confidence to get a job with a co and drive for them and learn what you really need to know! A few weeks out with some one that trains as a side line then in your own truck:biggrin_25521: NOT A GOOD IDEA, I wouldn't want to be on the same road with you! Remember it's not just your life, others are out here too!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.