Is this good pay for a newbie driver..?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Highway Hypnosis, Jun 30, 2014.

Acceptable pay for a newbie

Poll closed Jul 10, 2014.
  1. Yes

11.8%
  2. *

No

88.2%
  1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    They don't.

If the OP would just scroll down from what he showed us he would see a breakdown of every trip with loaded and empty miles, etc.

Broccelli Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chris886

chris886 Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Looks like terrible pay to me. I stared my first driving job 5 months ago. I am a local driver just driving a class b straight truck for now. Started at $18 an hour with time and a half after 40. The wworst week i have had yet is $800 net for 43 hours. Usually closer to 50 hours and $990 net. ususally I take home over $700 a week gross after taxes and health insurance.

4. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    Questions:
    What is DRV REIMB/DEDUCT.... 10.00 For?
    What is COMDATA ECASH .... 1.70 For? I assume its a transaction fee?
    What is the problem with this driver taking an advance? As i understand it he/she is just getting their own pay a little early --and i do understand that there maybe transaction fees.

My comments worth .02:
    Yes it's low pay, but exactly what i have read in the swift forums on average their drivers start out at or normally earn a week.
    $390.00 clear, I hope you make it out there- If nothing improves money wise i would start applying to other companies in 6 months and state the reason on the next application as "Low Pay" ...period.
    Three cheers for those of you that stuck it out as a OTR driver receiving similar paychecks.

Highway Hypnosis Thanks this.
  5. just_the

just_the Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Saltillo, MS
    If you do that consistently that's only like 8-9k/year take home pay. Bail.

6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    To the OP. Look at your gross on the first image you posted. Now I am assuming you are referring to the red arrow for the net pay at the bottom. Your gross pay could be better, at least a $100 bucks more if your on a trainers truck. You got reimbursed for $10.00 (scale ticket?) then all your taxes have been taken out. Then you had $220.00 in advances which was also taken out then add the $1.70 you were charged for the use of comdata and deduct your driver legal services. Yea, that's right! If your net pay being direct deposited to your account is worrying you then you need to manage your money a lot better. Those advances hurt but managing your cash better isn't a trucking thing, it's a normal everyday thing for everyone.

7. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    [QUOTE="Hang - Man";4103720]Questions:
    What is DRV REIMB/DEDUCT.... 10.00 For?
    What is COMDATA ECASH .... 1.70 For? I assume its a transaction fee?
    What is the problem with this driver taking an advance? As i understand it he/she is just getting their own pay a little early --and i do understand that there maybe transaction fees.

My comments worth .02:
    Yes it's low pay, but exactly what i have read in the swift forums on average their drivers start out at or normally earn a week.
    $390.00 clear, I hope you make it out there- If nothing improves money wise i would start applying to other companies in 6 months and state the reason on the next application as "Low Pay" ...period.
    Three cheers for those of you that stuck it out as a OTR driver receiving similar paychecks.[/QUOTE]

Well as I see it IMHO, He saw his gross, got excited then received his net after pay after and was disappointed and forgot about those advances. If one wants to have a good looking check at the end of the week then the advances need to be left alone and money needs to be better managed. Other wise if your in between a rock and a hard place and you really need it, only take what you need and be sure to jot it down and deduct it so you'll have the reality of what to expect your check to look like at the end of the week.

I'm guessing the $10.00 was for scale reimbursement and yes the $1.70 was a fee because a flat rate fee on a comcheck will be charged up to a certain amount then from there they charge a percentage of the checks amount to be cashed. That could have been avoided if he would have waited to fuel and took it off his card at the pump. Eatting in truck stops does get expensive or he's just buying a bunch of BS. Looks like he's had enough pay checks prior to purchase his atlas and all those other needed items.

"Hang - Man" and Highway Hypnosis Thank this.
  8. Plan-B Trucking

Plan-B Trucking Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My two cents (well I guess it's four cents now) is that the OP was simply inquiring whether he was receiving acceptable pay for a newbie. Sure his net pay was low - but upon analysis it was for only 3 dispatch days and 2 runs. He made .47 cents per mile, which is not bad for a newbie.

By all means he should not "bail" or second-guess himself on which carrier he signed on with. There will always be exceptions but in general newbies don't make a lot of money during the first year - but they earn tons of invaluable experience that will pay off in the long run.

Stay the course and be safe out there!

9. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    Thanks Skunk _Truck_2590
    But i am not wrong in what i say about taking an advance am i ? are you just saying it's more of a mind trick looking at the pay check minus your advance or should i say it just looks like your pay is smaller but its not.

10. truckologist

truckologist Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2014
    DO NOT PAY YOUR "DUES" or put in your TIME !!!

LEAVE - NOW !!!!

Brandson and Highway Hypnosis Thank this.
  11. Highway Hypnosis

Highway Hypnosis Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Minot, ND
    I've received a lot of good advice on this thread and have spent the day exploring different career options... might have something in the works in the area of car hauling... will keep y'all advised.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.