Is this government or my company?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by bamanation, Dec 23, 2018.

1. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    I’m not sure how to upload a picture so I’ll just ask my question.
    We got a message on the message board that we will get a new update to our AOBR (Omnitrac) to the new (ELD) platform. We are being told that “Any” movement of the steering wheel will change our duty status to driving. Is this something that is federally mandated or is this something that our Safety dept has implemented? As part of climbing into the cab, by habit I grab the steering wheel so that is going to be a habit that’s hard to break. No impossible but hard:) I’ve looked and can’t find any good information on the in’s and out’s of the what the ELD’s are supposed to record other than hours logging. So maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I work for a great company that typically listens to drivers input. So I need to be able to point to specifics if this isn’t a government mandate.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Steering wheel movement won't trigger the drive line. The wheels rolling on the ground will, though.

roshea and flood Thank this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    That’s BS. You can’t “drive” a truck with the engine off and the brakes set.

If your company has your ELD set to detect steering wheel movement and go on Line 3.

You need a new company. The mandate if I understand it correctly, will require Line 3 on any movement above 5mph

flood Thanks this.
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The change to ELD from AOBRD isn't always without problems. Making the truck move just right (lurch backwards, mostly) can trigger duty status change, although that's happening less often to me.

6. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    I think its time to go do something different.:sad10:

7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Can you reply back how much you'll get paid for being on duty/driving?

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Excuse me while I jiggle the wheel squeezing to and from everything in that cab. Maybe the CAT will get up there, STRETCH, claws out and hang from a spoke before wrapping to nap inside the nice wheel itself.

Stupid company. Intent on tightening the thumbscrews of enforcement.

My solution? Remove the half inch bolt from the U joint of the column on the engine side of the fire wall. Spin that wheel freely without activating *&^%

9. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I'm not sure what triggers it, suspect signal being blocked by obstructions which include the truck itself, but could be moving in relation to a power line, or a roof like a fuel island canopy or a shop.

You'd have to use one and try to figure out what it's doing in order to get a understanding of why.

The things I mentioned above have all happened to me but with less frequency as time goes on, maybe the wrinkles are getting ironed out, some of them.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Steering wheel movement will not trigger anything. My company updated to the "enhanced" AOBRD as well and the only time it will change is one I start rolling. (Brakes off and in gear)

Your company determines the policies...

I.E. - I can move (in sleeper) as long as I am under 20 MPH and don't go over a mile. We also have "Yard move" which will put you on duty, but not driving. But once I go over said criteria, it switches to drive.

So with that said, I would ask your company for clarification of it's policies and ask for guidelines in writing. If you don't know, then how do they expect you to comply.

11. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Ours shows a violation in back office when you move at all while in sleeper berth. I don't know, haven't been told it does it off duty, but I was told about sleeper berth.

The company can't get them to make the drive countdown work right, ELD parameters aren't so adjustable, as in little to no leeway given by the rules.

Nukem Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.