Is This Load Properly Secured?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by WadeH, Sep 28, 2020.

1. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    There are three stacks of four unitized bundles of lumber. The front stack and the rear stack of lumber each have four straps going over the top (note that two of the straps on the bundle of lumber on the left are not shown in the photo as they are hidden behind a conestoga tarp). The middle stack has three straps going over the top. The distance between straps and the WLL of the straps used do meet regulations. Is there anything else that should be considered here, or is this load properly secured?
    IMG_20200220_151346[1].jpg

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Its good, but I would use edge protectors under the straps, lumber will cut a strap quick

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Back in the day running coast and mt roads we belly strapped our loads. Better load compression to the deck.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    No you need 3 gut straps on the front stack and two on the middle and rear to be legal.

393.118(B) Secured by tiedowns as follows:

(1) If there are 3 tiers, the middle and top bundles must be secured by tiedowns in accordance with the general provisions of §§393.100 through 393.114; or

(2)(i) If there are more than 3 tiers, then one of the middle bundles and the top bundle must be secured by tiedown devices in accordance with the general provision of §§393.100 through 393.114, and the maximum height for the middle tier that must be secured may not exceed 6 feet above the deck of the trailer; or

(ii) Otherwise, the second tier from the bottom must be secured in accordance with the general provisions of §§393.100 through 393.114; or

(4) Secured by tiedowns over each tier of bundles, in accordance with §§393.100 through 393.114 using a minimum of two tiedowns over each of the top bundles longer than 1.52 meters (5 ft), in all circumstances; or

PoleCrusher, DrFlush and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Razorwyr

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I dont have a measuring tape on his load, but looks under 6ft tall to me (barely, but under 6'). While a belly strap wouldn't be a bad idea, its legal the way he has it as long as its under 6' tall.
    "Requirements for securing bundles in two or more tiers....
    Option #3:
    • Place bundles directly on top of other bundles or on spacers.
    • Secure the stack of bundles with tiedowns:
      • Tiedowns over the second tier of bundles or at 1.85 m (6 ft) above the trailer deck (whichever is greater).
      • Tiedowns for other multiple tiers not over 1.85 m (6 ft) above the trailer.
      • Tiedowns over the top tier of bundles with a minimum of 2 tiedowns over each top bundle longer than 1.52 m (5 ft)."

7. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Those are not the actual regulations, the cargo securement handbook is inaccurate.

here’s the actual relevant regulation:
    (2)(i) If there are more than 3 tiers, then one of the middle bundles and the top bundle must be secured by tiedown devices in accordance with the general provision of §§393.100 through 393.114, and the maximum height for the middle tier that must be secured may not exceed 6 feet above the deck of the trailer; or

(ii) Otherwise, the second tier from the bottom must be secured in accordance with the general provisions of §§393.100 through 393.114; or

Seems like gut straps are required to me. Required or not gut straps make a stacked load of lumber(or any stacked load) much more stable in an evasive maneuver.

edit to add: looking at what you posted I would say it needs gut straps over the second bundle or at 6’.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. Razorwyr

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I read it as second bundle or 6ft, whichever is greater.... meaning as long as the load was under 6ft, the top of the load was all you needed, legally. I would agree with you on doing a belly strap regardless, though

9. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Good eye. Just to clarify, these are 4ea. of 4x4's (3.5" x 3.5") lumber beams in each bundle, with 1ea. of 2x4's (1.5" x 3.5") spacer between each bundle. Thus the top of the load is (16ea. x 3.5") + (4ea. x 1.5") = 62", or 5'2" above the trailer deck.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Reason for edit: clarify the post
    PoleCrusher and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I can see how you would take that from the way the handbook is written, that's why I always defer to the actual regulations.

That handbook causes lots of confusion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.