Is this loading dock space big enough to fit a 40'HCL Container?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by samikitty, Apr 26, 2023.

1. samikitty

samikitty Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2023
    I am looking to rent a warehouse. I will be getting 3 shipments a month of 1 40' HCL container to the warehouse that will be a part of a 8-hr round trip drayage.

The space has 100' from the loading dock to the road and 71' across the front of the building (there is a telephone pole and fence line at 71'). Everything else in the 100' x 71' space is a cleared gravel/grass lot. There will be no cars parked in the lot. I believe that the way the building sits, this will be a blind side backing approach.

I've included a couple of pictures to show the layout and measurements. I would really appreciate some guidance on if this is workable.

NOTE: The shipment will be an 8-hr round trip drayage, and I will need at least 2 hours to live unload.

1. Is it possible to back the container up to this loading dock in this configuration?
    2. What is the optimum height of the loading dock for a container on a chassis? I am pretty sure I will need to regrade the approach, which is fine.
    3. What is the minimum height of the overhang/awning to ensure it is high enough not to get smashed.
    4. Should I just plan on an overnight fee with each shipment since as it seems difficult to get in under the daily drive limits?

Thank you for your help! If I could, I'd send y'all a virtual beer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Shouldn’t be a problem at all
    While you kinda hafta blindside to set up
    There’s plenty of room to all but get straight without entering the road and back to dock
    Most containers are slightly higher at floor than standard trailers due to the box sittin on the chassis
    Best thing would be to get to one and measure
    But with proper dock board again shouldn’t be an issue

Ruthless, samikitty and Albertaflatbed Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What’s on the left outside of the bounds of the picture? A street running north and south?

If so, approaching from the north and blindsiding in like @‘Olhand mentioned should be no problem.

Keep your overhangs at 14’ or more and you should have no problem there.

A container on a chassis is probably 6 inches or so higher than your typical dry van. You may have problems with the dock plate shown in your picture. You can alleviate that issue with a portable one, which will spread the hight difference over roughly 4 feet or so.

5. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Be careful with the 2 hour unload time, most container haulers is 2 hours before you start paying detention.

6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    In case your wondering this is the type of portable dock plate Mack E-6 is talking about

Attached Files:

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    correct, 99% of container freight is floor loaded and tightly fit into the available space so 2 hours can be a real hustle

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  8. 2rescuekids

2rescuekids Light Load Member

May 25, 2023
    Looks good to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.