Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RockinChair, Apr 27, 2023.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Last night while I was fueling up at Love's there was a double-drop next to me that was hauling a front-load garbage truck. I noticed that the driver had disconnected the polished rods that come out of the hydraulic cylinders from the forks, arms, and tailgate. After loading the truck and chaining it down, why would the driver take extra time to do all that before reconnecting the trailer and getting on down the road?

TIA.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Get the height down.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    The arms and tailgate were already all the way down.

5. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Maybe it saves wear on the cylinders?

6. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Now that makes sense.

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I would guess to guard against cylinder drift. I wouldn't think it would be a real issue, but if the manufacturer says "do this when in transit", then "this" should be done, whether or not it makes sense (please see "turbo dry spin").

Or boss man had a driver claim cylinder drift when the driver screwed up loading, so now there is POLICY.

8. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'm not familiar with cylinder drift, but this was an older truck so it's very possible the hydraulics wouldn't be in tip-top shape.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It's when there's a leak inside the cylinder and it allows fluid to pass from once side to the other until pressure is equalized. From my (very limited) understanding it happens more at full extend and things drift down to "rest", and most often when the unit is being manipulated. My farmer friend has a problem with his sprayer booms drifting. To fix it he'd have to tear the whole thing apart, which would probably break more things than it would fix so he just deals with it until the 32% nitrogen rusts it out.

Bean Jr., beastr123 and RockinChair Thank this.
  10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Cylinder drift is really only an issue if you are working against weight or gravity. The cylinders can leak internally and bypass and the cylinder can move. Buy again not against thr laws of physics.
    Hydraulic oil does expand or contract slightly with temperature change but not enough to really move anything much. If the Hydraulic pump was running and you have a leaking control valve it could also make things move that shouldn't

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    For those of us that pull liftgate trailers cylinder drift is an omnipresent potential threat.

Bean Jr., Old_n_gray, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.