Is this the place to ask for help with a repair issue.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by J.S., Dec 5, 2023.

1. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Sure is. The mechanics hang around here.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes either here or AAA.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  5. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    Ok. My fuel separator dome has recently gotten a smudgy orange colored film in it. With my most recent change which was two days ago I again used brake cleaner to clean the dome. Initially I would only wipe the glass with a napkin but hit some advice I could use the cleaner. Anyone know if it’s the cleaner or not. I’d really appreciate any advice on a filter only getting about 600 miles in between changes with a little dip in coolant. I looked in my tanks and they seemed to be clean where I saw. Any help will be appreciated.

6. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Sounds like either contimanted fuel or algae to me. If so the cheapest fix would be to run the tanks as dry as you can then have them dropped and steam cleaned. You may need new fuel lines if its really bad though usually treated fuel will murder anything in said lines. Otherwise run some biocide through the system and see if it helps. Biocide likely wont kill everything in the tank or remove anything contaimnateing the fuel but it will keep it from getting worse.

7. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    Well the chalky looking film didn’t embegan till I started cleaning the dome with brake cleaner. I’ve been changing the filter for a while beforehand.

W923 Thanks this.
  8. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Brake cleaner won’t affect filter life but it could cause the plastic to discolor. We went to actually glass faced diagnostic gauges in the shop for this very reason. I will never forget what it does to safety glasses after some dumba that worked for me though it would be good to clean them

Oxbow and J.S. Thank this.
  9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Brake cleaner melts plastic and will whiten or fog over the plastic. Buy a new dome and save the brake cleaner for brakes not fuel system.

Orange buildup is most likely algae.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.