Is Training Needed hiring a CDL fresh out of school?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TylerHarris96, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I am going to be blunt and you won't like my answer but there is no training program anywhere, you have to use your judgement to let loose a driver on the road, and training was done when they prepared for the CDL.

NOW here is the rub in all of this, NEW CDL holders are very VERY HIGH RISK.

I would not hire a new CDL holder in general, I have hired now six people right out of "school" and put all of them on the road as soon as they got their license. I did this because ALL six of them I know their skills but others, I wouldn't even think of it because in the wide world of truck driving, there are so many experienced drivers out there looking for a good company to work for which brings up a question about you and your fleet, are you going to pay them a decent wage or just a 1099 them so you can be a cheap owner?

justa_driver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You already know the answer … he's trying to get away cheap, without having to pay the price for a good driver.

He wants the driver straight out of school, who's used to getting by on minimum wage, so he can tell him what a good deal $600 a week is.

Justrucking2 and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  4. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've seen in some of your other posts you mentioned you have 10 trucks in your fleet. I would think the answer to your question would be an obvious one here. You could stand to lose everything you own sending a guy out improperly trained, even with a corp. Best case scenario would be he just tears equipment up on a weekly basis before the long nosed ambulance chasers have an opportunity to move in God forbid something else happens.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    We had an untrained two week driver run through a stop sign and took out most of a junior hockey team. Sixteen died. Made news all around the world.
    Don’t be THAT guy !

justa_driver and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You don’t work for that outfit?

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I would just off myself if I ever killed someone.

My one single biggest motivating fear in this business. I ran over a dog in the middle of no where in Nevada once and to this day that still bothers me.

Hurst

uncleal13 and speedyk Thank this.
  8. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    This. Call your insurance company.They will tell you everything you need to do in order to get your new driver insured.

TylerHarris96 Thanks this.
  9. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Nooooo I'm not trying to screw anyone over I understand completely that driver retention is one of the pillars of a solid fleet. It's just so much harder to find an experienced driver willing to drop ship for a pretty new owner

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    ‘we ‘ as in the people of Saskatchewan, not ‘we’ as in where I work.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  11. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    It’s not Impossible to find experienced quality drivers if you offer
    quality work with good equipment and pay them what they are worth. They are worth every penny compared to the damage and Heartache an untrained newly minted CDL holder can cause. There’s a reason some company’s want 5 or 10 years driving experience. They probably learned the hard way at some point, and realized the importance experience and letting someone else pay for those rookie mistakes in the first few years that can
    bankrupt a small company. There’s a reason that some companies hire right out of school, because they are desperate to put ##### in seats, and churn through them with a 95% or more turnover rate and a long list of YouTube videos people
    Videoing the carnage they cause .
    I worked for a crazy,wealthy guy in the 90's who had about 50 trucks . He had all new high horsepower wide open trucks and most of them ran way overweight.he hired Anybody,I mean anybody,bad driving records ,alcoholics ,drug addicts,mentally insane ,kids right out of driving school. I could right a book no one would believe about all the insane things his drivers did.im sure he was self insured ,he had to be no one would of carried him for long .
    Rolling over trucks,crashing into cars,constantly getting caught by DOT for being way overweight and impounding the trucks. One time three of his trucks all way overweight (grossing around 130,000 lbs with no permits ) all new drivers out of driving school ,all speeding were going to Long Island from NJ and all three of them crashed into each other ,rear ending eachother and crushing a mini van (luckily no one died) when traffic slowed down ahead of them and they couldn't stop . They totaled 3 new Western Stars and closed the cross Bronx expresswayfor 4 hours. He fired all three of them that day and hired all three back about a week later,and put them in 3 almost new trucks!Lol! About a month later one of those same drivers kept driving a truck with a brake fire on a drive axle and burned the truck to the ground on the Long Island Expressway. He didn't fire him and put him in another truck. He would tell me how much he hated most of his drivers and 10 years earlier he wouldn't have hired them to wash his trucks ,never mind drive his trucks ,but with 50 trucks he was now in the business of putting ##### in seats. He eventually got fed up with it and sold off all the trucks and trailers and bought a quarry and a few tri axles he has to this day. The companies name was Cable Trucking and he ran walking floors,dump trailers and tri axles. I know he's an extreme example,but I still laugh about how crazy his operation was when I see all the over regulation that trucking has become today with Elogs,driving facing cameras, Bluetooth headsets etc. if there were driver facing cameras in his trucks they would have probably seen his drivers talking on their cell phone while smoking a joint with a bottle of Jack Daniels between their knees going 80 mph in a way overweight truck !Lol!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.