Is Training Needed hiring a CDL fresh out of school?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TylerHarris96, Sep 5, 2018.

1. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    That's insane! Regarding driver facing cameras, how do experienced drivers generally feel about them? Also what would you say a 2 year experienced driver would be expecting per mile, assuming I'm giving them healthcare coverage as well. Thanks

roadtech Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I can tell you I don't know anyone who would work somewhere with driver facing cameras..I wouldn't .
    I can't tell you what a 2 year experienced driver would except pay wise,everybody's needs are different ,it depends on the type of work ,area of the country etc. I started driving in 1986 ,so it's been a while since I was a new driver ,but I made more in the early 90's than many companies pay today. I've never worked by the mile ,it was either hourly,percentage or by the load.I always had a minimum Daily pay when I was a company driver I had to make if I was going to work for someone. 25 years ago it was $200 a day ,today it would be $300 minimum to turn a key for someone . I've made over $600 a day as a company driver in different gigs I've had.that wasn't driving a truck ,that was driving a motor home in the entertainment industry working on tv shoots,commercials,music videos etc. You get what you pay for when looking for drivers. I know guys who paid there drivers $2500 to $3000 a week at 25% to 30%. That was in the gas drilling industry and hauling cars . The drivers made big money because they made the company big money and were worth it. Think of your drivers as just as an important investment in your business as your trucks and trailers and the work you go after,not just a necessary nuisance you have to deal with to keep your trucks rolling. Drivers can make or break your business,and most good drivers with experience who've been around who haven't taken the next step and become an owner operators don't work cheap ,but will make you way more money than an inexperienced driver .
    If you have good work,pay them percentage ,most experienced drivers know they'll make the most that way
    (Unless you pay a high hourly rate ,which most companies won't do,unless their under a union or work related contract).Most companies who pay percentage start at 25% and if a driver stays and is good they'll bump him up to 30%, that's what most good experienced drivers expect and now you have a driver with skin in the game ,when you make money ,they make money.Your "investment " in good drivers ,by providing a good living that a driver who's paid his dues ,learned his profession and kept his driving record and work record clean can feel good about working for you ,is one of the best investments you'll make in this industry.

TylerHarris96 Thanks this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Driver has license. He's ready to go. WTF is all this training. If the driver cant find their way from point A to point B they are not acceptable applicant.

5. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Getting the license is the first "baby step" in becoming a driver. A lot can happen between point A and Point B when they eventually get there.I understand where your coming from,that's how I learned how to drive,figuring it out on my own,no trainer,no GPS,no cell phone etc.But we all make rookie mistakes when we start out,some minor and some major ,and some people should have never got a license to begin with. Some companies going to pay for that....Do you want to?
    Rolled over trucks,smashed cars,ripped off trailer roofs
    "Curbed"blown tires ,cracked rims,blown clutches,unsecured loads ,wrecking in bad weather,snow and ice,I see it all ,all the time .I can't tell you how many accidents I've seen in truck stops ,new drivers smashing into parked trucks ,taking off hoods (yeah ,I've seen that) ripping off bumpers,,backing into the CAT scale sign and almost knocking it down. Not too many 5 or 10 year experienced guys doing that (maybe when they first started), it's almost always new inexperienced drivers ,some who should never be behind the wheel of a truck,some who learn and become good drivers. Some company and more importantly some insurance company is going to pay to find out.Thats why many companies won't touch someone without at least 2 years experince and a clean MVR and work history and some companies
    Want 10 years and at least 30 years old ,there's reasons
    For that. With the current driver shortage,out of necessity many companies are lowering their requirements and taking the chance ,and the higher insurance premiums,but
    It's not by choice. I'm not saying everyone doesn't deserve a chance to earn a living and start a new career,but a company is taking a major chance when setting a new driver loose with their equipment ,especially in today's lawsuit crazy society ,and the costs to buy and fix equipment ..

6. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Hire yourself a driver with a whole 6 months experience and let him be your “trainer”... seems to be working for the megas

roadtech Thanks this.
  7. Lostcause54

Lostcause54 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2018

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We have trained and gotten CDLs for new drivers. Getting the CDL is the easy part. A lot depends on each individual person, but I’d say it’s close to 2 years before we send somebody out completely on their own. Some never get it.

roadtech Thanks this.
  9. TylerHarris96

Aug 13, 2018
    Is that a number I can call for more info?

10. TylerHarris96

Aug 13, 2018
    What aspects do some people not get? like backing up into docks? Thanks

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Some people are naturally mechanically inclined and have a natural ability with mechanical things. They understand spacial awareness, inertia and physical forces that extreme weight imposes. They can remain alert and attentive for 99.9% while on duty. Others will struggle with all of that.

For the sake of a laugh,.. we can use me as prime example here. I picked up trucking and heavy equipment like I was born to it. But in the same regard,. I tried carpentry when I was younger and out of work. Even to this day,.. I can not strike a hammer to a nail with any certainty. I can not measure and cut wood with any degree of precision. I have the carpentry skillset of a 4 yr old. I still try,.. I enjoy trying. I really like it. I'm just no good at it. So I dont hire on to any crews and pretend that I am or will one day be a good carpenter. I never will be.

Spend a day in any truck stop and watch who comes in and how they decide to park and how long it takes them to do it. If you watch long enough you will see a pattern. Certain companies,.. their drivers back in like they own the place. While others wake up their co driver and its a 30 - 45 minute ordeal to get the trailer backed in with out hitting something.

For some there is no amount of experience that can help them. They lack the correct attitude to learn,.. and/or they just dont and can not understand the dynamics involved.

Hurst

TylerHarris96 and exhausted379 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.