Is trucking worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Solo Soul, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Solo Soul

Solo Soul Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    I will carry a dashcam in my truck on top of whatever the trucking company provides.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    First thing id do is move to a cheaper no income tax state.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Solo Soul Thanks this.
  4. Solo Soul

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    Seattle sucks. I pay $1000 for a little room in a shared house. That could be a mortgage. I'm thinking of moving to Montana once I become a seasoned trucker.

5. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Yeah Sal , you got to roll outta that place , my friends sons in med school there his cars been broke into 4 times.
    Wisconsin is a great place to start a trucking career , i did.

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  6. frmerdrslmer

frmerdrslmer Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Missoula,MT
    I delivered to Montana this morning. Loading in Wyoming now then heading home to West Virginia. I've used my job to live all over before choosing WV.
    Like the other driver said... Always expect the unexpected. I see the u-turn thing a few times a year. People are always going to cut you off and do stupid things. Before I started driver told me two main things, 1. Don't rush anything. 2. If you're unsure, stop.
    Don't rush loading, unloading, customer's, the truck, the weather, just don't rush. Keep a responsible pace and be prepared to wait. Be patient.
    Always look at your surroundings. Leave an exit to whatever you're doing. If you have a question, ask somebody. Ask multiple people. Don't rely on a GPS. Have a truck atlas handy.
    Pre trip and post trip! Most drivers don't. If you have an equipment issue, report it. Responsibility will always fall on you. You'll be handed a lot of books and paperwork and taught how to reference it. Do it. If possible, check your load and tires every time you stop. Mainly try to stay positive and protect your license and reputation like it's your child.
    It's illegal for anyone to ask you to run illegal, loads, logs, equipment or roads. Don't let anyone force you. Your the boss. Captain of the ship. A good company will have an open door policy to the boss and safety personnel. Your record is their record. Hell, there contracts out there that have safety score requirements to even bid on. A safe, courteous drive is gold in this business. Remember, you can only go too fast once but you can go slow every time. Patience, patience, patience.

abdogg1684, dwells40 and Solo Soul Thank this.
  7. frmerdrslmer

Apr 19, 2009
    Missoula,MT
  8. Solo Soul

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    Wow. I will make a print out of what you said, and keep reading it. Thank you!

frmerdrslmer Thanks this.
  9. Solo Soul

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    20210524_101539.jpg
    I saw this last month. What could have caused that? And what could have happened to the driver afterwards?

10. frmerdrslmer

Apr 19, 2009
    Missoula,MT
    My first month driving an empty truck ahead of me blew over on a bridge while we were waiting at a stop light. That was near I84 in Oregon along the Columbia river. Biggs Junction.

11. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Thank you
    I’ve been trucking so long and love it so much I don’t even think about going back to work again.

ibcalm19, dwells40 and Solo Soul Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.