Is un2794 wet battery filled with acid consider a hazmat load??

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Magicautocenter, Jul 2, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive wrestled with this question.

I have had hazmat many years until I walked away from it and questions like this really drive me up the wall.

Packed customer batteries big and small not hazmat, exempt. But god forbid they get loose on you.

I would not tow that trailer without a HM endorsement even though it's not. It's a catch 22.

CruzControhl and Magicautocenter Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve had forklift batteries that needed ID placards due to the liquid content.

CruzControhl and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    some do and some don't... the one's I did were exempt... said so on the bol

CruzControhl Thanks this.
  5. some batteries like car batteries you don't need a placard because I've hauled like out of exide and Interstate before but they're like just sealed car batteries..
    just don't do-it Wiley Sanders did regarding battery pieces after destroyed one look at Vernon California and the tragedy of exide over there and all the people poisoned by lead is downright scary..but luckily Wiley Sanders admitted they did it and they paid their $3000000 fine I think

6. thebatteryguy

thebatteryguy Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Great Question!
    Technically, a shipment of UN2794 batteries is still legally consider hazmat because it is still subject to certain requirements of the DOT HMR. HOWEVER, UN2794 batteries do NOT require placarding or a hazmat endorsement on the driver's CDL when shipped compliant with 49 CFR 173.159e (also known as the wet battery exception).

DOT letters of interpretation state that it is up to the carrier whether or not they choose to use this exception. This means that a carrier can use the placarding exception even if the shipper provides placards. This ALSO means that a carrier can refuse to use the exception if they so desire.

As long as your driver has had some training, they do not need a hazmat endorsement when complaint with 49 CFR 173.159e. Always good to play it safe though. If you're not comfortable, don't take it.

A couple notes:
    If the load shifts during transit in a manner which causes damage or short circuit to the batteries, it becomes hazmat.
    Nothing can be loaded on the trailer by any shipper other than the shipper loading the batteries (no partials).
    Except for UN2800 batteries, no other hazardous material can be loaded on the trailer. This includes Class 9 material.
    This exception only applies in the US. It does not apply in Mexico or Canada.

*I've personally arranged over 23,000 shipments of batteries and battery parts.

Gearjammin' Penguin and DUNE-T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.