Is working for food delivery really that physically demanding

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by DAX_, Nov 2, 2019.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The union in that barn is incredibly weak. They made demands and rarely got any of them, helpers came about at the barn because the business has shifted from drivers delivering their product with minimal service and filling to having an overwhelming service demand placed on them. It wasn’t anything to do with drivers having a massive workload, it came about to reduce headaches to the sales teams from small store owners, restaurants and other accounts complaining about getting service at 6pm at night.

Most demands/threats/mentions of strike that were brought to my team usually ended up with us telling the union to grieve it or get a strike authorization, never to hear of the topic again.

The same union hall represents the Coke facility 10 miles away. They have over 500 union workers that are active with union activities compared to Pepsi’s 100 members where only 1-3 show up for monthly meetings. It also helped that the KO barn is also a manufacturing facility.

Unions are only as strong as the membership.

Lonesome, buddyd157 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    The union barn we have (Miami) gets #### on compared to us. They don't get anymore pay, they get less helpers, it's where trucks go to die lol.

McUzi Thanks this.
  4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016

OH DEAR DRIVER,
    YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT OVER-STRENUOUS PHYSICAL LABOR IS.........

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    If it’s like US Foods, it probably depends on the location. If they don’t have enough drivers, you’ll have to work more days no matter what. In my area it went by reverse seniority, but drivers higher up could take the extra shift from someone lower if they wanted to.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. FFL Trucker

FFL Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    I got offered $22 something cents with over 2 years of experience including hazmat in a high COL area, basically same pay as someone with no experience gets fresh out of CDL school. It was a union shop though and they offer an extra $7/hr they put in your pension.

I said I'd think about it but I know for a fact I won't see that pension money and they're just looking for cheap spare drivers, so to heck with that.

7. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You sure about that?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. ywevis

ywevis Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Albemarle, NC
    I just quit a job working for food service. Although I quit because it wasn’t Sysco. They pay way more than the small guys. If I was in my 30’s I would do it. But I was physically exhausted. Would take me half of Saturday to be able to do house work. But the pay is good because of the crap customers you have to deal with. Your trying to unload and you have to stand around waiting for them to check you in. Sometimes it could take up to a hour to be checked in even with a small stop of 16 pieces. I mean Sysco is probably the best, but I have heard stories about how them trailers are loaded and you can’t leave til you find all the items that cstop ordered.

DAX_ Thanks this.
  9. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Pardon me, sir. i thought you asked if food/beverage delivery was physically demanding?

YOU UNLOAD 18 TONS, AND WHAT DO YOU GET?

ANOTHER DAY OLDER AND YO' MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH IS IN THREAT.

Mike2633 and DAX_ Thank this.
  10. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO AFFORD A CORVETTE.

BUT YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH IS GOING TO BE SERIOUSLY IN DEBT.

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Ripped. That's what you get.

TexasKGB, Cardfan89, 201 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.