Is your truck your only home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Craftsman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. AuthorAr

AuthorAr Bobtail Member

I retired at 39 from my first career, my daughter is grown and lives in south with grandkids I am divorced now for 10 yrs, and I bought a gmc rts custom coach to live in. I have been on the road for last 3 yrs, when I come home I can either park the truck at storage and just drive the bus to a campground. All my belongings are on board so I can do laundry at campground or at my folks home which is around the corner. just put away cash for rainy day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lvjeffro

lvjeffro Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2007
    My truck will be my home while I am OTR,and I will be using my parents house as a home base, mail will be delivered there, home phone number etc...

I am saving up $$$ for a house...I can't see spending 1000.00 a month plus utills to have a place that you might be in 4 days a month, instead of saving it and in 5 years you would have an extra 60K for a down on a house...

I just need to win the lottery...LOL...

4. BruBakers

BruBakers Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I been thinking about getting my CDL, and start living out of a truck too. I have family and friends in Dallas, West Palm Beach Florida, and Denver, so I can stay with them when in town.
    So living out of truck is a possiblity.
    Just doing more research before I jump in. This forum is very helpful!
    I have a BS in management, so I have a lots of options besides trucking.
    Lots of negs in this trucking industry, but there are lots positives to. IM 43, no kids, no wife or tooooo serious of a GF....just me and my dog. I been self employeed for 10 years, and that business died last year, so IM kinda starting over again. My current job sucks, and my roommate is selling the house in a couple months, so trucking life is sounding better all the time.

5. AuthorAr

AuthorAr Bobtail Member

It isnt a bad way of life if your not settled down or tied down. Putting away for that special place to retire is always good. If your personality type is sorta a hermit type your going to do great in trucking. I personally wanted to minimize all my belongings but not to the point of just a truck. So I like the bus life. If I wanted to move my location I just pull up my coach drive it to where I want to see the next sunset. Take a rental to back to go drive trucks for awhile. Then take my time off where my bus is. and in my bus or you could get a RV, I think the next one would have purchased would have been the fifth wheel and a good pick-em-up-truck. the detachable way seems alot better than the bus. but thats personal preference.

6. BlackCat

BlackCat Light Load Member

May 25, 2007
    Texas
    Yep, did it for 2 years. Drove team with my BF. We got out of the OTR world, bought and paid for our house outright in San Antonio, TX, and had $$ left over. We both now work local driving gas trucks. No house payment really sets you up well for your future if you can manage to not live beyond your means in other areas.

Sure it was a PIA for the 2 years, but we had a written plan and goals. We accomplished it and had a lot of fun in the process. We made sure to have an "us" day once a week somewhere on the road, and saw something that we had never seen before, had a nice meal and stayed the night in a motel. Our disapthcer was key in meeting our goals. She knew what we wanted, how we wanted to run, and helped us greatly.

I wouldn't suggest it if you do not have plans, goals, or a purpose. Now that I have a taste of local work, home daily and making about the same as I did OTR, I don't think that I could ever go back OTR. Just not for me any more.

7. AuthorAr

AuthorAr Bobtail Member

Only two things I didnt like about trucking: 1.) Forced dispatching. and 2.)being woke up during my sleep period to be told I need to be going by the third shift dispatcher.
    I had my plans down and my alarms set, and its hard enough to get rest when you can then to have some young kid who didnt know his beans from barnicals telling you how to do your job or squeeling on that quall com.

8. TIP-TOE

TIP-TOE Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Frederick. Md.
    Well, here's my 2 cents. I drive for UNITED VAN LINES. I used to haul household. Still a bedbugger by nature (tattoo says "SKIN GROWS BACK, FURNITURE DOES'NT") and I now do tradeshows and special commodities, LTL, etc. I am 34 years of age, single, no kids. I managed to put my worldly possessions into my company's storage (I pay them $150 a month) and have my mail go to the company address. They are cool with it. I have a mail box in the drivers room. I LIVE in this truck ! I love it ! I dont see the issues that some have posted in haveing people interaction problems. I also have a PS3 (playstation 3) in the truck and utilize IDLE AIRE. I run a video game club and have 38 members. I tend to travel the country and stay in their homes when near by. When I go back to home town, I stay with relatives and friends. I am saving for a house, but you need to be home enough to maintain up keep as well. I figure in another 10 years, I would have met MRS. RIGHT and saved enough money to get off the road and work localy and enjoy a house with a low payment. Thats MY plan.......may not be suitible for others, it works for me.:biggrin_25526:

9. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Well it was my original plan before I wound up marrying, and in a few weeks it will be back to my original plan I guess =/

I figured if I just ate on the road, stayed out, and lived in truck I'd be fine. My only major possession is my car. I will rent storage for it. The rest can be sold for all I car. All I need is the net, the computer, and my clothing. Oh and the cat and dog. I'm a simple girl really, I buy some splurg items now and again like silly flying helicopters from flying j that don't really fly (apparently they just go sideways at high speeds and crash into stuff), but the majority of my money goes unspent. My plan is to save enough to buy me a farm >.>

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

11. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    For what it is worth be careful when filing your taxes if you are "living in your truck."

The daily perdiem is designed for drivers "duplicating" their expenses while on the road. 80% of 52.00 per day will be the amount allowed for filing your 2008 tax return in the spring of 2009.

If you are not duplicating those expenses the per diem option may be disallowed by the IRS and you lose a $10,000.00 deduction (or more).

Be sure to check with your tax advisor before filing and claiming the per diem deduction if you intend to "live in your truck."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.