Is your truck your only home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Craftsman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. gwhitson

gwhitson Light Load Member

May 30, 2008
    Ada, OK
    Well this is a really good post, I think I'll add my two cents. I'm going t WSE on 7JULY to start CDL training. My goal is and plan is as follows. Upon receiving my own truck I plan to live out of my truck, at least for awhile, I'm in my mid 30s, single, kids are grown so there's not a real need to come home. Its my intention to have internet, cell, and sat radio service, so other than meals and laundry that is the only miscellaneous expenses I'm anticipating. I hope to work 3-4 weeks before taking some off days in an area of my choosing assuming dispatch can accomodate me...lol. After a year or so I hope to find an area of the country that I make a "base" that I can come home to. The previous sentence is definitely variable and not an expectation. :biggrin_25522:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    When I was on the road starting out as an O/O years ago I stayed in the truck for the 1st year w/o suffering too much. After 10 years of getting rich/poor/rich/poor in other businesses I'm now going back on the road with the same basic plan. I have no delusions of getting rich. Just want to do what makes me happy and earn a living! The difference today is the trucks are much more comfortable and there are many discounts and services available for hotels and other things that will make life easier. I had an old cabover Pete with no A/C and a 36 inch bunk and I survived just like the thousands of drivers who came along before the new age of trucking :biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.