ISX Slow Start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dillydog24, Feb 2, 2023.

1. dillydog24

dillydog24 Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Good morning y’all, I’ve been dealing with this slow start/sometimes no start problem for few years now. I got a ‘11 367 with an ISX 15. When I bought this truck I replaced the starter and had found that the main disconnect under the driver side cab was broke and the contacts were just laying on each other. So I replaced the cables from the battery to the starter without the disconnect and had all 3 batteries tested. Making sure there was no loss of power. No luck. Did some more digging and had found the the ignition had been replaced and the starter interrupt relay had been replaced with a jumper no relay to be found. It’s been okay over the years I’ve just been careful about shutting it down on the job seeing once it got warmed up it had a hard time cranking and sometimes would crank at all. Here lately in the colder months seems likes it’s getting worse. I pretty much have to jump the truck if it gets below freezing. I’m at a loss and I’d like to solve this problem once and for all before blacktop season.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    You could disconnect the negative battery terminal then use a voltage meter to measure if there is any voltage between the battery terminal and the cable end.It should read 0 volts if nothing is drawing power from the batteries.If it's reading 12 volts or something then your batteries are being drained when the truck is off.
    Might want to put a new disconnect switch in to eliminate the battery draw.

dillydog24 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    CHECK ALL THE GROUNDS, ESPECIALLY THE ONES FROM THE ENGINE TO THE FRAME.

dillydog24 Thanks this.
  5. dillydog24

Jun 8, 2020
    Only one that I know of is the one from the starter ground post to the frame. Should there be another?

6. Tigerfishinc

Tigerfishinc Light Load Member

May 28, 2021
    It’s the starter - you got a rebuilt and it’s just acting up
    Replace the starter with a new one or a gear reduction

dillydog24 Thanks this.
  7. dillydog24

Jun 8, 2020
    Replaced 2 of the 3 batteries; had AZ test them. Not sure how much I trust those testers. But anyway. I added a master switch rated for 500 amps. It works but I’m going to replace it with a heavier rated one when I find one. My uncle saw sparks flying from the starter like some one was welding when I would start it. So I tightened everything down on the starter. The wire from the solenoid to the starter was hot to the touch, wasn’t terribly loose but was able to get a turn or two on that post. All that seemed to help quite a bit. It doesn’t stop after one rotation of the engine. It’ll actually gain some speed and start. Still feels sluggish compared to our other truck, granted it’s also a decade newer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.