It can't be that easy to get hired?

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by clayshot, Nov 11, 2013.

1. clayshot

clayshot Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2013
    near Philly, Pa.
    I spoke to a recruiter this morning about some issues regarding about my work history. {unemployment} Gave her some info {ssn#, name, address} Filled out an application about 4 pm, got a call about 4:15. She wants me in Salt Lake the 25th. Say what!
    I drove local for 2 companies way back when. I had to jump thru a 100 hoops before anything was decided. {I was fresh out of driving school}

This can't be everything, can it? I know my all my DMV and criminal is clean. I have my CDL but, haven't driven since 95. Is this standard? Are they going to check all the info or is this it? Is she jumping the gun here? I assume she doesn't have hiring authority or pre hire, or this the way it's done. Of course these questions and many more will be asked when I call her back. I'd hate to get to Utah and find out, ''oh sorry, we can't hire you''.
    I set it as ''tentative" with her. I needed to collect my thoughts and write down questions to get back to her.
    I hope I'm not setting myself up for a nightmare. Long time since driving, never did OTR, don't know qualcom or elogs and never used a reefer. Oh yeah, it's WINTER TIME! LOL OH BOY!!!:biggrin_2551: Let the games begin!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Just remember the recruiters get paid for people showing up to orientation. Seems like lots of people get sent home during the first couple of days. So buyer beware.

dfaf Thanks this.
  4. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    And now I'm worried again... *sigh*

5. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    You have not been on the road since 95 which is making you a newbie now. How long have you been unemployed, some companies now anything over 3 mo will not even let you into the school, some might let you if you have a notarized statement from someone you may have worked for temporary to fill the gap.

They will pay your ticket usually to get to the terminal for orientation, but if you don't hit the muster for all qualifying things, you will get to foot the bill back home I would imagine.

6. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Just make sure you don't have any skeletons in your closet. If you did any drugs recently or misrepresented any info on your application than you need to worry. Can you pass a DOT physical? Central might have a test for physical ability too. Hopefully a recent grad from Central will chime in.

dfaf Thanks this.
  7. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    I have heard that central is not as bad as its neighbor cr England. they are down the street from each other just about in Utah. its like its been said make sure u have all your i's dotted and t's crossed and u will be ok. I went thru 3 training programs graduated from 2 but only received 1 key. a job is never guaranteed until u get your key. if they have excepted your application they have did a back ground check already. but if you have concerns u need to bring it up with the recruiter. just talk to him and if he cant answer the questions to ease your mind don't get on the bus until they do. but I understand going all the way there to find out you don't have a job. your recruiter can go the extra step to make sure that don't happen if he/she want that money off of you. good luck!!

clayshot Thanks this.
  8. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    I'm going on my sixth month of unemployment, things aren't looking to be in my favor.

There's nothing I didn't tell them about during my Criminal background check, I really didn't have much to tell, and I talked to the recruiter quite a bit about my tickets I got when I was younger. Not sure about the DOT physical, I'm fairly healthy person, never been told I low/high blood pressure, diabetes or anything. Although I have gained some weight since I've been out of work; which is another thing I'm concerned about since I snore. My BMI is around 37, I'm guessing this puts me on the list of needing a sleep Apnea test?

My friend who works for CR doesn't seem to think I'll run into any issues, but it's certainly not keeping me from worrying about them.

9. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

It can't be that easy to get hired? Yes you are correct it is not that EASY , your not HIRED yet , you were only invited to orientation

10. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Your not really hired until orientation is over , I just went through it , just don't lie about anything .
    I was unemployed for about 6 months as well and I made it through it , I am out with my trainer right now

11. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    Good to know that's not likely to be a dis-qualifier for me than. How ya liking it with the trainer?

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.