It has been decided. My next truck.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Kansas, Nov 23, 2010.

1. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

He is likely suffering from LNBH ( Painted Black ) syndrome.

Lot of older VOLVOS still on the road ( non company trucks ) and in decent shape just the same as a lot of W900's that are TRASHED ( company trucks )

dieselroarmt875b Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    W900... what a reason to discuss about old style truck? they build it like freightliner build Classic... they offer them for owners who used to drive this style trucks many years ago. It is of 80-s style. yeah, I love old style vehicles, trucks, cars but we got into age of new matherials, better aerodynemics...

old drivers of company I work for, say, that they wanna drive old trucks w/o electronics and other modern toys. but seems to me it is a kind of nostalgy....

4. dieselroarmt875b

dieselroarmt875b Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    YOURAPEEIN
    d16 is a great engine in terms of power ,torque and mileage
    but had alot of reability issues-mutiple turbocharger,injectors,egr,leaking failures
    dont know who to blame? volvo for poor assembly , component producers :holset,delphi,modine...or both
    there was intentions to start a lawsuit against volvo from angry truckers.......
    ''way better than a peterbilt......,sounds better than a caterpillar,pulls also better than caterpillar,caterpillar is just alot of noise and thats about it''
    THIS MEANS WAR!:biggrin_25516:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FjxPsU3BhCk

5. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    who to blame? All volvo engines of top power rating are not reliable.

D12F 480 HP - not reliable engought
    D9B 380-400HP - the same issues

What Volvo engine is reliable? D13B 400 HP!

6. dieselroarmt875b

dieselroarmt875b Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    YOURAPEEIN
    i dont remember that power rating on d12f- it was a egr version
    its kind of too much for 12liter even without egr ,
    430hp(euro4)- 465hp(epa2002) was maximum for that engine
    they had a turbocompaund d12d with 500hp maybe you are talking about this one?

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Magnum

dieselroarmt875b Thanks this.
  8. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

So....Does this mean we're not gonna be pals?

I have my opinion, You have yours...I guess you're gonna have to learn to live with that.

9. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Is it true that the Volvo's tear up the steer tires?

10. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Yes Jim, It's true that Volvos are kind'a hard on steer tires. The guy I'm leased to has a Volvo in his fleet and he goes through steer tires on that truck twice as fast as his other trucks..We were talking about it recently and he says that's the most common complaint with everyone of these trucks that has come through his shop.

But we'd better not talk about it here because we wouldn't want to make anyone mad because we don't think Volvos are very good trucks!:biggrin_25522:

11. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I sat in a W900L for the first time last week. I drive for Maverick and drive a 2007 Columbia with a DD60 engine in it ( I think)
    I love the look of the KW. The dash was awesome with all of the gauges. It reminded me of my boat I used to have. I loved the look and how it made me feel.
    But then I noticed that there was hardly any room to fit between the two seats. I noticed how close and narrow the cab felt. Then I noticed the lack of viability out the wind shield. I was shocked how much less I could see vs my Columbia. I know you can get used to anything...but I was really surprised.
    The thing that is great about this country is that we have the freedom to choose what we like and don't like and the freedom to make those decisions.
    Since I have to live in this thing, I probably will always go for the comfort and compromise on the feel! But that is just me!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.