It is better to Deadhead than take cheap freight

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by johnnyman1099, Nov 2, 2017.

1. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Absolutely and as mentioned earlier the time of year, truck availability and needs.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah Florida doesn’t suck in may and June. I’m not paying those rates for charity

PPDCT and trucking.shine Thank this.
  4. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My two loads to Denver this year was just icing on the cake because they were my weekend run. On the $3500 load to Denver from Memphis, my fuel was $750 on 1000 miles loaded (due to headwind around 4mpg), carrier takes 10%. Deadhead to Kansas City cost $250 on 600 miles. This load net me $2100 from Friday, SAT, Sunday, Monday ( I manage to squeeze a 34hr restart). I reloaded another $3500 from Kansas City to MA on Tuesday. Kansas City is not that great of an area because this load payed $2.15/ mile to northeast. I could of done better per mile if i took a load from KC to OH, then OH to MA, but time, and timming was a factor. I needed to gross $4k by thursday or friday and needed a weekend load.

Now, to explain the icing on the cake; previously during the week, I had already gross around $4500 from Monday to Thursday with over $3/mile loaded so I put around $800 on fuel on these loads and have net $3000 after deductions for the week. The Denver load is extra money (hence Icing on the cake), and it raised my overall earnings for the week to $8000 gross. After carrier's cut on 10% ($800), $200 weekly insurance (occupation, bobtail, physical, liability and cargo), roughly $1900 fuel , i netted over $5000 for the week before my truck, trailer payment, maintenance and tax. My truck payment is $925/ month, 36 months term. Trailer rental is $950/ month.

I deadheaded right after I delivered from Denver on Monday and picked up another load from Kansas City on Tuesday to MA. This beats messing around with brokers on monday and not being able to pickup next day if i deadhead. Time is money because I am on E-Log. I had timed the load perfectly because I was able to restart in Denver and reset my hours for new week. Picked up Tuesday in Kansas City (600 mile deadhead) Delivered on Thursday morning in Boston, MA area , did a short haul run, picked up another weekend run.

On the second Denver trip, I gross over $9,000 for the week. The way I plan my loads is to gross around $4k from Monday to Thursday, then decide if I want to go home or do a weekend run. My weekend run is icing on the cake because i already made good money and pay for all my bills with the $4k gross already.

I am on E-Log and every hour of my time means $$$$. Proper planning is a must. As soon as I book the Denver load on Wedensday or Thursday, i start calling on loads out of Denver. If I cant get a decent load out of Denver by Friday afternoon, I am going to plan on deadheading on Monday and start to look for the nearest load out of the bad area. I never go to bad areas unless they are my icing on the cake and doesnt cut into my next week's earnings by much.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The biggest mistake many inexperienced O/O's are making is just looking at rates per mile and not including the time involved on the load. Example of this is to take a load from Denver to east at $1.25/ mile on over 800 miles. This will take 2 to 3 days to complete depending if there are any delays in loading and unloading. It has been my experience that cheap freight are cheap commodities and shippers and consignee dont really need them right away, so time to load and unload are usually longer. So if you delivered in Denver on Monday, picked a cheap load to say Saint Louis, MO (850 miles) at $1.25/mile you would gross roughly $1050. What if the cheap load picks up on tuesday because it was too late to pickup the load on Monday since most likely, you booked the cheap load around noon on Monday, and didnt get setup with broker until a few hours later. Once you finally get rate sheet, you may not be able to pick up before shipper close. So, is it worth it to do the cheap $1.25/mile load and most likely end up with $1,000 gross by mid week ?

Now, the second biggest mistake inexperienced O/O's are making is proper timming of loads. It would be crazy to deliver in Denver on Thursday or Friday if you want to get back East because you may be sitting over the weekend with no load, or waiting for a cheap load to pickup on Monday. Also, delivering later in the day on Thursday or early friday will shrink your options because there is a long deadhead if you go that route. With E-Log, you cannot pretend to be super efficient anymore.

A good example of poor load planning was when my brother bragged to me how he got a load from NC to CT for over $3+/mile and only took him a day to complete the run. He picked up Thursday, Delivered Friday. Gross $2000 on 600 miles. He didnt do a cheap load and ending up deadhead out of CT to reload on Monday. So his good load, took Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sunday and required deadhead. If he had done this load earlier in the week like delivered by Wed, this would of been a decent load.

One more final note is that in bad areas like Denver, FL, NorthEast, etc.., good paying freight that is above average for the area being posted may cancel on you. I have had many good paying loads cancelled on me from Northeast, Denver, FL and other areas this year. Most likely, the broker wanted me as the backup guy and gave the load to someone else willing to haul for less. There have been many brokers who told me if I can beat a rate that someone else is willing to haul. I always say I need more. Since I planned my deliveries to bad areas early in the week, a load cancelling on me didn't affect me much.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    chimbotano Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry but this is very wrong.

Not covering expenses means you are taking a loss, and if you won't take a below buck a mile to move that truck, then no matter what you lose out.

Many of you look at this all wrong, it seems you have this idea you MUST make a profit every load and every move.

You can make a lot of money ridding yourself of this mentality.

My deadhead miles are up across the fleet this past month (October), my "cheap" freight numbers are up as well, but my net is way up which would not make sense to many.

Here is an example, I have three dedicated routes right now that take product out of Indiana at one company. It all go to three different locations - west, east and south. I found a company who has locations near where these loads are going to and we make pickups from these three locations for the return trip to our customer. These three are all $1.25 per mile loads (TTT), they are cheap and they are usually four containers of parts or something light, yesterday one truck has popcorn for shipping in it. What used to happen was these loads were all done by cargo vans at $1.75 a mile and it was just a constant cluster**** with the carrier trying to keep drivers on the account, so the company wanted something more dependable to haul their stuff to this processing center in Indiana. Their customer picks it up from there and everyone is happy.

The total deadhead miles went from 1400 miles down to 140 miles for all three trucks, the cost for the return trip went down 96% (we take a loss on tolls and time) and we keep those trucks moving which makes all of us happy.

7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    So why do you do it @ $1.25?

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I can point to many examples in the past where I deadheaded home 600+/- miles with my van or reefer as soon as I was empty early morning in a dead market. I put myself right back into the good market the next morning and ran another load back down to that dead market I just left. If I had taken a time wasting lower paying load back north it would have resulted in lowering my net on the week.

I can also point to times where a cheap $1 a mile load would have been beneficial. I have even hauled some dirt cheap ones back once in a while too. That revenue does pad the bottom line and it is crazy to pass on it if it works.

I can also point to many, many times where there was absolutely nothing to haul back north. Sure there were low paying loads going to other parts of the country taking me out of my lanes however those don't work for my operation.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  9. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    $1.75/mile? I'd leave my trucks in the yard first

10. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    It’s really pretty simple the more you operate the truck with out making any revenue the more your operating cost goes up.And nobody can argue that.

11. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    "Many of you look at this all wrong, it seems you have this idea you MUST make a profit every load and every move"

But why should I make money for everyone but myself? The broker, the shipper and the company (if you are leased on)

Its the principle of it

gokiddogo, chimbotano and JimmyWells Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.