It's been very quiet in the KLLM forum

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by bloke, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona

Watkins Shephard does primarily LTL, so runs with multi-stops are the norm. That figure of $20 to $25 per stop is only for furniture loads originating from their Conover, NC terminal. All others are paid differently. The following is abridged from the Company Driver Procedure Manual, May, 2010:
    • Maximum allowed for any one drop is $55 ($5 for the drop and $50 max for unloading the freight).
    • Carpet: $5 for ea drop + $.50 per pc. of carpet hand unloaded.
    • Carpet pad: $5 ea drop + $.20 per pc. of pad hand unloaded.
    • Mattresses: $5 " " + $.40 " mattress " " .
    Furniture originating from a W/S teminal except Conover:
    • 1-5 pcs: $10 (no drop pay)
    • 6-37 pcs: $15 " "
    • 38+ pcs: $.40 per pc " "
    If your load originates from Santa Fe Springs and you have multi-stops, you could get a lot of manuevering and backing practice around tight retail outlets for not too much coin.

On the positive side though, W/S does have alot of long runs. I rarely had any thing under 1000 miles and always had ample time to do it as well. Dispatch was accessible and always seemed responsive to drivers needs. That alone makes W/S stand head and shoulders above most other trucking companies, especially those willing to take on new drivers.

For those with little to no experience, pay starts out at $.25cpm for the first 90 days, then goes to $.27cpm to 180 days, $28cpm at 6months and $.31cpm at 1 yr. After that $.01cpm increase at each one yr anniversary. Their 10 day orientation at Missoula is absolutely outstanding, and includes up and down shifting on a 6-8% grade with 40K in the box. It is compensated at $100 upon arrival; another $100 after three days; and a final $200 at successful completion and being hired. AT is correct is stating that you can still earn a good check, as long as a driver is going down the road and not goofing around at truck stops.

W/S buys many of their tractors from other companies so many of them tend to have higher mileage then one is likely to find at places like Swift, Central or USX. However when problems occur they are responsive about attending to whatever needs to be done to get the driver moving again. The shop people are generally extremely helpful and really set the bar for what we wish other companies mechanics were like. Many of the units come with APU's (various manufacturers) as well. They expect a new hire to go solo right after orientation, which is challenging for some but just exactly what others are looking for. All in all, I would say an excellent company for drivers of all experience levels.

Apolagies for posting so much re. W/S here. However, it just seemed to fit with the prior posts.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. the professor 94703

the professor 94703 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Hope, Ar , USA
    Poobah: Just a question, does Watkins Shepherd contract owner operators?

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

we have allot of O/O's at Watkins Shepard, lots of Large Cars... Not sure what you mean contract....if you mean let O/O's lease on to WS then yes they do for both Dry Van and Flat Bed

American Trucker

5. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona

Yes. I was a company driver for them so I really can't address the O/O issue too much. Last summer I recall seeing several oversize flatbeds in Missoula that were operated by O/O's. They seemed to be kept busy and content. Here's a url that might be useful: http://www.wksh.com/RecruitingOwnerOperatorsFlatbed.aspx. At first glance the cpm rate looks #### good, but they included the FSC in that figure. Still though, a good company that I think is known for having a longer than average length of haul as well as being reasonable to work with.

Are you an O/O (L/P) with KLLM? Haven't heard anything from the RoadToad recently, hope all is going well for you folks over there. Safe travels to ya there Professor!

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

All of the recruiting stuff on the Website is wayy out of date

American Trucker

7. the professor 94703

the professor 94703 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Hope, Ar , USA
    I just transitioned over to lease purchase in Dec. Took the truck I'd been in as a lease purchase. Under $400 a week for the next 21 months(If I survive). Total cost for truck will be under 40k.

Poobah Thanks this.
  8. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona

Thanks for sharing the info Professor. The posts from you, Romans, and RT have been very helpful and illuminating. It would appear that with a reasonable weekly amount of miles, the overhead numbers you've all shared, and close attention to managing resources, that you each have a fair chance of success.

I don't recall who this driver ( http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AgJpCKktvk_wdElxRDBqZGt5dVBHcmQ4WFRuWExpTFE&gid=0) was leased with but I was impressed with the detailed account he keep of his revenue and expenses. He started his venture with a well defined set of goals and expectations and at any point in time he was able to compare current performance with what he originally hoped to achieve.

Having had my own business for 30+ yrs., I can say that being able to crunch numbers inside out and upside down can reveal some surprising conclusions as to where profitability really lies. It's not always found where we might at first suspect to find it.

All good thoughts and best wishes to each of you.

9. Tired of crap

Tired of crap Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    No inverter unless u put it in and Kllm needs to change rules put drivers vs and change their anti gun policy

10. Tired of crap

Tired of crap Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    He just needs to fight it with dac

11. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    So they don't care if you install an inverter ? Do their trucks have fridges in them ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.