Its official may orientation 6/4/13

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Bigdogg, Jun 2, 2013.

1. MJensen

MJensen Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Medford OR
    Winters are the most fun dead man pass maybe donners pass fun times hit the siskyous in a big storm good times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. i12drivetoday

i12drivetoday Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NW Oregon
    Bigdogg, are you still with May? Did things get any better?

4. Bigdogg

Bigdogg Light Load Member

May 11, 2013
    Phoenix, Az
    Still here running hard, and yes ive had good weeks, then decent weeks. mays treated me very well and im ready to run hard this summer

5. londog71

londog71 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2011
    barons city utah
    May is a good company, Everyone will tell you they micro manage this and that, Honestly IMO don't Be one of those drivers that needs to be micro managed.. They don't hide anything or any fact from you in orientation, pretty straight shooters. Lower pay but their a starter company, Great equipment, slow trucks but it's their rules. Learn, haul your loads, be on time, and most of all
    don't be a snivvvvvler crying all the time and you will do great for this company and yourself. easy peasy cheezy!!!

seamallowance and Lux Prometheus Thank this.
  6. Bigdogg

May 11, 2013
    Phoenix, Az
    I'm back ..... running 48 making money about to get my raise, 4k bonus life's good out here with may but my only complaint is I need a FASTER truck :)

blwjr Thanks this.
  7. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Yeah well good luck with that, even my slower than slow flying W truck passes May trucks a lot.
    Just stay in the right lane lol.
    (I do miss the 13 speed I had in the May truck though):biggrin_25525:

8. vally

vally Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Bigdogg, ...and Scooter and others, I appreciate all of your many excellent, helpful, and useful posts. I've read these forums frequently...some threads over and over, as I struggle with my decision to change careers and become a trucker. I have a good job, good pay, benefits, but I hate it! (insurance sales) I'm fundamentally unhappy with my current job, and I've longed for the freedom (so to speak...) of trucking. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and I realize that this is more than a simple change of job, it's an entire change of life, and one that impacts not only me, but my family. It's been a struggle. I want to do it, but I've tried to weigh the consequences and have realistic expectations. But, it's a much more complicated decision because of family's finances, time at home, etc.These posts have helped me to understand the world of trucking in a much more grounded, reasoned, and informed manner.

I live in Western Colorado (near Grand Junction) and was impressed with the May presentation at a local school. I'm at a point where a window has opened up, and I need to make a decision on going with May now, or waiting till the next window opens.
    I realize these questions have been answered in various threads, but I'm hoping to get your thoughts on the following questions:

1) Is it better to be dispatched from Denver or Layton (in terms of miles, home time.) I'm situated about halfway between these two terminals.
    2) They indicated I may be able to leave the truck at home during home time (subject to approval..I do own an empty lot next to my home.) Or possibly park at a local school and then drive home from there. Would home time be any better if I park at the Denver or Layton terminal and drive the 4-5 hours to my home? Or, wait till I can take the truck home.
    3) The 90/90 plan is very tempting, but I need to gross about $750 per week. Is $750 realistic with the miles available nowdays? (Once I've completed training, and received my own truck.)
    4) Finally, ... kind of an odd question... but do May trucks have stereo, radio, etc with an Aux/usb input so I can plug itunes into the system?

Your thoughts would be very welcomed.

Lux Prometheus Thanks this.
  9. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Can I answer?

(1) I don't know.
    (2) I don't know.
    (3) I would plan on $630/week, especially if you choose 11 Western. I have heard of people getting over $1000 after the 90 days, based on the difference of miles (driving "48"), but as an "11 Western" guy, I only got bupkis after my 90.
    (4) Yes. It has a miniplug and a USB input.

10. vally

vally Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2013
  11. Bigdogg

May 11, 2013
    Phoenix, Az
    Well I'm a happy camper bonus came threw made it into 2 paying weeks so the tax wouldn't kill me. Got my raise I'm currently at .35, and last but not least I also got payed for my vacation time im running like crazy so not one complaint right now life is good next week I'll be bringing my wife with me for 2 weeks so that'll be fun :) no more lonely nights for me..... at least for 2 weeks. then I might just go home and take my weeks vacation so let's get down to business
    1) it doesn't matter where your dispatched out from home time comes whenever you request it. A terminal doesn't determine the type of miles you get your loads are determined by what's coming out of that area your in and the hours you have available (run 48 trust me I've done both I was scared of coming out here with the big dogs but it's a pice of cake lots of miles less stops)
    2) home time is home time if you request 3 days you'll be home 3 days whether you park in denver or at home I've actually requested 4 days being out only 3 weeks and I've never had a problem with them saying "no" .parking at home now that I don't know...
    3)90/90 is a good deal for a rookie. if you run 48 your looking at 800+ the only time I come under that is when I have a short week because I was home
    4) yes also Sirius Radio
    5) ok this is not a 9-5 job it's a stressful job when you first start until you get a routine that works then and only then will you start enjoying this job. we work long days sometimes long night but it's part of the job, do your job follow the rules and nobody will ever say anything to you. I used to be a structural steel fitter/welder making 18+ a hour busting my ##### 6 days a week and now I make that type of money+ some enjoying the road traveling places I would never imagine going, all while I'm getting payed. I love my new job, I love may and the only reason I would leave is because this bigg Dogg is ready to loose the training wheels and hit 65 minimum on the speed charts stay safe my friends

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.