Ive chosen hopper over end dump ! I need help !!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by iamfargo, Mar 20, 2019.

1. iamfargo

iamfargo Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2019
    So over the last few weeks been debating end dump or belt or hopper ! I chose to go with hopper just because bigger pay load for grains ect and I have more connections and brokers using a hopper due to that I run OTR ..

NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID ... if an experienced hopper driver, farmer, ect can please tell me once I’m loaded at a load site or farm what are the steps when pulling to a location to get unloaded , edicate , things to look out for , steps , process , ect ...

I’m not new to trucking but new to this so I want to make sure I’m not looking like a complete rookie even though I am lol ! I would appreciate all responses preferred from hopper drivers WHO ARE EXPERIENCED ! Thanks

subseaguru and motocross25 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Subscribed. Only thing I know about unloading a hopper is dump your air in your trailer, and make sure you unroll your tarp when you unload. The vacuum pressure can suck your tarp and bows in, and I’ve heard tale of a busy grain elevator sticking their probe through an unrolled tarp to take a sample. Other than that I’m new to hopper pulling also so I’m gonna leach on and observe your thread. :D

iamfargo Thanks this.
  4. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    10.4 thanks for the response and anytime I look forward to hearing from more

motocross25 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are not going to get very good training via internet forum.

Its one thing to talk about it quite another to do learning on the job.

Im thinking if you knew something more about end dumps that is where you should have gone. Knowledge is wonderful, but your first year doing anything new like this hopper freight is going to reduce your overall income a little bit or even incur some damage.

You are in it up to your eyeballs now. So... all I can say is good luck. God help you. lol.

Im not here to troll or make damage. Any time in trucking or anything really in life that I go try to do something with ZERO training... well bad things happen. As in really bad things.

iamfargo Thanks this.
  6. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019

No I get it and everything has a learning curb . I will be doing some training with a buddy of mind but I come here for tips and pointers and I appreciate the response ... but I will do well and I know my first year or so want be as profitable as let’s say year 3-5...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I haven’t done hopper in 20 years but I do remember that having a good air suspension gauge is a must... once you know roughly how much weight you can haul in front hopper you can use the suspension gauge you replicate loading at farm yards and be relatively close ..

motocross25 Thanks this.
  8. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hopefully you are not a smoker. If you go into the Coop or Elevator etc and it's dusty around the silo, Im thinking some products are a danger.

There are people who will write and tell you all your questions to answers, if I have a flaw it's a overly moderate view on things in life. It's a conflict with those that are not a problem such as mountain work.

I have been feeling abused too many times in life, dispatcher tosses a packet that has been stapled a thousand times over and half the writing is no longer valid on the BOL etc. When I squawk to his royal hiney at court and make noise about this, the Pitbull Operations Manager comes zooming to me saying, yer load is there get going yer late. Don't bother us with stuff we don't give a #### about.

Over my shoulder I yell back, be sure by dinner tonight all of you will be given a good #### about the phone call I will have to make on this load out there for something or other.

Sure enough I make the call. They don't want to hear it. I tell the suits that I have a company full of those who wont see and those who wont hear and of course those who say nothing at all. How do you want this load? There in the corner. Stick it and I'll sign this thing.

"Stick it" in a couple of places hurt my feelings because it will sink into the mud the next 30 years because anyone who gave a #### about that load will no longer do so tomorrow and forget about all that by the weekend's attraction at the bar downtown. Im half tempted to visit two distribution centers in particular via google earth and see if those trailers are still there to this day.

10. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Like other op said, tarps open when arrived at a sight, guys will dump on them. Don't have to dump bags on all loads, you'll learn when.
    Best thing to do when arriving at a place, follow other trucks lead. All places are different; so if your first or only one there just ask yard/scale guys.
    Some places weight in weight out, may have inbound and outbound scales so keep with the flow.
    Most places have good signage indicating not to open tarp until second on scale, etc.
    Doing a wind row somewhere, open back hop first to keep the traction on drives. But this can change to depending on product and pad.
    Don't cut in line even if parked there over night; give a courtesy knock on drivers door, if they can't get up, jump around.

11. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Oh and if you arrive after hours and park for the night, don't park on scales for the night, and leave tarp closed until scale master arrives the next morning, and you check in and say it my first time here what's the procedure.

Or get the scoop from another driver.

iamfargo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.