Ive had an axventure with tanks.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Superquack, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Originally I didnt have any endorsements on my license as they werent needed. Yesterday it changed. The normal tanker driver had to take the rest off the week off and no other drivers were able to do it. Manager asks me if I wanted to. Said sure if i had the proper endorsement for it. 20 minutes later i was at the dmv. I remembered everything I had studied and passed with a breeze. Now i was told i would recieve training for it. Oh how wrong it was. About all i was tought was how to operate the valves and told where to go, which i already knew, since its only one location 10 miles out. So i start the truck, do my pre-trip.Go to head out, clutch is bad and have to use said tractor. I pull around to the scale and found outiz how surge is. I knew it was bound to happen, I did not expect it to be that bad. Over the past couple days, my starting/stopping and shift has improved but still gets a little bumpy at times, but the clutch doesnt help. Ive been operating smooth-bores with no training really, and it's a complete different animal than a van. It is enjoyable and keeps you on your toes. Been using two different tractor/trailer combos but both set up the same. Running a 9 speed is a little different then a ten but no big deal. Anybody have tips for better operation like shifting, etc? Props to the guys that do it daily.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    time the surge, when you feel the liquid starting to come forward start your next up shift. then you will be landing in your next gear about the time the liquid is in the back of the trailer again, when stopping try to keep the liquid forward. its all about finesse and timing. when cornering go slow smooth motions with the wheel no jerking.

4. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I've been tankin 29 yrs last 12 smooth bore, and I still get slapped around some. What works best for me is is take off nice and easy, when I feel it hit the back (try to stop me) I EASE the fuel to it and to try to pull through it (keep it at the back).It makes every one behind you pretty mad going so slow,but imagine how mad they are going to be when you come to a dead stop in the middle of the intersection because your driveshaft is laying in the street.(which by the way usually takes out at least 1 fuel line(HAZMAT spill) and a couple of airlines.

Logan76 Thanks this.
  5. Superquack

Mar 7, 2010
    For cornering around 10 below the limit seems to work fairly good. Double clutching seems to be a tad smoother as well.

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Less than 1/2 the posted limit for exit ramps is what we used to teach at Matlack

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Be very gentle. When you bake if you actually push on the pedal thats too much, Touch the pedal and wait for the reaction. Shifting has to be ultra smooth. same with acceleration.

You will get it, jist do everything with the motion in mind.

8. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    One important thing (for me anyway) is to pay a little more attention further down the road and making a plan for things you see. You don't want to get surprised by a broken down vehicle halfway on the shoulder, or traffic coming to a stop. Not that it isn't important in any vehicle, but with a tank, a minor incident can quickly turn into a major disaster if it catches you by surprise.

9. Superquack

Mar 7, 2010
    One thing i do know, is a full load is alot easier then a half full tank.

10. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Absolutely. We run 50 gallons shy of full, and there is hardly any surge at all. A far cry from the days when I played around with waste oil. Even in a compartmentalized tank, I'd still get hammered around as I started out empty and made pick ups all day long like a milk hauler.

11. Joel Leland

Joel Leland Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Laurens, SC
    The exit ramps are marked for cars. Ten miles or more slower than the posted speed. Remember, tankers do not jack knife, they roll. I find floating the gears is smoother than double clutching. Double clutching will get you out of the intersection faster, floating the gears will give you a smoother ride with less surge. Never, I repeat, NEVER take your foot of the brake when you are first stopped. Surge can push you into or through the intersection and anything in front of you is in trouble. Surge will also pull you backwards with the same drastic results. Use the jake brake on hills. It works better than the service brake for a steady slow down.

Be careful out there.

raverez097 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.