I've put my time in, who pays the most and who runs with faster trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by fins2feathers, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    I was working for a company a few years ago and my truck was governed at 74 mph and another driver from same company i was running with was governed at 80 mph, we ran out to vegas together from ontario, he was complaining i was slowing him down 74 was not fast enough lol

SHC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jake The Bullhauler

Jake The Bullhauler Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Paris, TX
    My speedo stops at 80. With both sticks on the dash i can get 115 out of it :) Fuel mileage isn't an issue...

4. KRAKAJACKJONSON

KRAKAJACKJONSON Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Clemmons NC
    Like to know how you get 620 miles per night with a 65 mph truck, you can't even average 60mph with that, you must be driving 11 hours instead of 10. With a faster truck i get 723 miles in 10.5 hours and can still stop and get a drink or use the bathroom.

5. KRAKAJACKJONSON

KRAKAJACKJONSON Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Clemmons NC
    Really, so what institute did the testing to come up with that speed because i disagree, it has more to do with how your truck is geared.

we have trucks that run 73mph tacking 1480rpm and get over 7mpg, not too shabby, i will never drive a 65mph truck.

If you drive a truck with an old motor turn it up yourself, i used too. Took a piece of wire about 8 inches long with two alligator clips, one on each end, take the cover off the fuel pump, place one clip on the pump and the other where the computer is and it bypasses the computer and the truck will run 80 or 90 mph, just remember to take the wire off before you get back to the terminal, we had more than one driver fired because they forgot to do this ha ha ha.

Also don't pass your other company trucks or they will snitch on you, truck drivers are worse than a 7 year old girl for doing this.

6. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    It is how its geared but how many mega carriers are set up to run past 65 and get good fuel mileage, they arent.

7. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    As long as.you.are.doing the minimum, you are.also obeying the.law.

8. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    My truck is not governed,but I am.5 miles over is fast enough for me.It is nice to be able to pull hills though.

9. MustangMark83

MustangMark83 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    Prime ain't got nothing on CCC Transportation in Florida. They run 400-600 miles a day at 57 mph. Plenty of time on the interestate to be rear-ended. I'd know, I worked there for six years! Greedy owners want to save lots of money on fuel economy, and put other people's safety on the last of priorities.

RickG Thanks this.
  10. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    I agree with a lot of this and my truck is not governed, however, as an owner/operator I believe fuel is the number one factor I can control to adjust my bottom line the most. SO.......putting myself in the shoes of someone who owned a hundred trucks lets say, yeah I would definitely govern the trucks for the fuel mileage! The profit margins with fuel so high are slim. You have to do what you can to maximize the profits. Keeping the left door closed and the speed under 70mph is the best way I know how. Well, that and nearly ZERO idle time!

To the o/p I know how bad it sucks to be governed, I put in my time. Unfortunately that's the way it goes.....if you're a company man you don't have to pay for the fuel and you don't care, you just want to go faster. If you buy your own truck, you will care real quick or go broke. If it helps, think about it this way.......I used to drive for a company that paid profit sharing, so I did my best to control fuel expenses as well as tarps and other equipment so the owner could have more profits, he in turn shared those profits with us. I know, the big companies probably don't do this, but if you want to stay a company man (nothing at all wrong with that) maybe try to find a company that offers profit sharing and that governed truck won't bother you so badly.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  11. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Most of you know running 70mph is almost impossible with traffic and congestions east of I-35...but having a few extra RPM to pass those governed trucks is just an added bonus. the need for speed (excess of 70) could result in hefty fines and court cost...is it really worth the risk of getting nailed :smt102 by the man just to save a few minutes of driving in a 65 MPH zone. What about Cali,OR, WA...the only place left to open it up is a few western states where speed limits range from 70 to 75 on isolated stretches across the the wasteland...

I want a truck that can pull a 5% grade uphill fully loaded (79,900) at 65 mph. :)

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.