J.B. Hunt - Why your company will never be this good.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by dancnoone, Sep 19, 2008.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    The true definiion of an oxymoron, would be me making this statement (see header).

But, it doesn't take long to realize that J.B. Hunt has almost perfected the future of trucking. See if you can stay with me, without turning this into a "JB suxs thread".

Despite the negative comments. J.B. has managed to be the leader in freight relocation. Offering customers needed options, which include long term storage of inventory, low cost, dependable delivery schedules, and a solid business model.

What J.B. has done for the driver...that's what matters to you the driver.

J.B. has reduced a once family unfriendly job, into a job the average Joe doesn't mind having. Setting trends that are cropping up industry wide.

While you can argue that making .42 a mile means little, if you only get 2000 miles a week. It beats the current industry model of 2400 miles a week at .35 a mile. Do the math.

Long haul companies, if you can call them that. Want you to stay away from home 14-21 days before requesting home time. While J.B. will set you up with enough freight, that insures you get home weekly.

J.B. business model includes benefits that all drivers want...but few drivers actually get.

If you sit down, and take the time to look at J.B. Hunt, and how they operate. You eventually see the future of trucking. And you'll figure out just how badly your company wants to get there, while retaining lower wages than J.B.

Take a good long look....and be honest with yourself.

JB still sux IMO. But, their business model is sound...and proven.

andrew5184, bbechtel16 and ggswede Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MountainMama

MountainMama Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Somewhere in CyberSpace
    Can't argue anything for or against JB Hunt since I am not a truck driver, but I did the math: .42 x 2000 = 840 and .35 x 2400 = 840, so the JB Hunt pay does NOT beat the current industry model.

Unless I'm missing something? :biggrin_2554:

pes2 and GAPrincess Thank this.
  4. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Never worked for them. Any trucking company can be good or bad it all depends on the person and what they like and how long they can stay away from home.

5. NukedNative

NukedNative Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2008
    St Joseph, MI
    I would rather drive the 2000 miles for the same pay as the 2400 miles any time. When it's hometime that is important, the less miles for the more pay the better, vs the more miles at less pay. Thats just me in my twisted definition of reality.

ggswede and ewill71 Thank this.
  6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Pay plus hometime beats the current industry model. You'll make the same money, and be home a couple of days a week. As opposed to staying out 14-21 then spending 2 or 3 days at home.

You effectively work 20% more, while spending 50% less time at home. For the same money.

And the only reason I bring this to the forum. This is the "trucking" business model of the future.

You can jump on board now, for .42 a mile. Or you can eck a living out for a few more years as an OTR driver with your present company...for .35 a mile. Getting a penny here, or a penny there raise.

J.B has a "more" forward looking vision, than most companies.

ggswede Thanks this.
  7. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    That's pretty #### close to accurate I would say...

The "math is, you are making the same (no loss in income) and are home twice as often.

ggswede Thanks this.
  8. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Of course the "other model" is Swift... run out inexperienced drivers in waves, every month, to replace all the drivers that leave, quit or are forced out as the company reduces their miles... thus keeping wages to a min. The fallacy of this model is the added cost of constant training and replacement of drivers, and insurance... that... and alot of people don't like you. :)

9. lowbudget

lowbudget Medium Load Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Bismarck, ND
    well, the original Swift owner just took out multi millions in lines of credit to buy the company back....then all this credit mess came crashing down. So they may not be around for much longer.

10. ConservativeDemocrat

ConservativeDemocrat Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Lakewood Washington
    Job Count:

0 CEDAR RAPIDS,IAType of Job:DedicatedFull Time/ Part Time:Full TimePay Scale:$0.32 per mileAverage miles per week:2500 miles per weekFrequency of Home Time:2 days off and 5 days onDriver Residence Area:Must live within 50 miles of CEDAR RAPIDS, IAOrientation Location:Chicago, ILOperating Area:Drivers could run anywhere in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana & WisconsinPreferred Experience Level:12 MonthsAverage Yearly Gross:$44,500Average Weekly Gross:$855Job Description:Work with dedicated customers and get home weekly. Regional positions are now available to class A drivers residing within 50 miles of Cedar Rapids IA. Run approximately 2,500 miles per week and average $855 per week and $44,500 per year. Benefits include medical, vision, dental 401k retirement, referral bonus and paid orientation. 12 months CDL experience requiredJob ID Number:1980

I copied this from the J.B Hunt website. they didn't offer a dedicated route in Washington so I picked my state of birth. .32 cents per mile not .42

11. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas

Most likely the .42 cpm is for a greater amount of experience or by individual dedicated account. I didnt even bother looking but that would be my best guess.

chalupa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.