J&R Schugel, Inc.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by davidhtn, Nov 25, 2006.

1. p34ch3s

p34ch3s Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2012
    I have been with schugel for two years now, and I don't have much to complain about. I drove solo for the first year and a half, and it was great! I ONLY HAUL DRY VANS!! I don't like to have to sit in docks all the time with a reefer! Of course, there was a few times that I was cussing and fussing about the company but the good outweighs the bad. Yeah, the pay is .36 per mile, but I hardly ever sat around, unless i begged for a 34. Most companies that offer u better pay for your experience don't have the miles to keep yo u running. And even with the new e-logs (which I was totally against!) you can still make a decent living. For solo drivers, I would totally recommend J & R Schugel any day! On the other hand, Team drivers shouldn't even look at the company. As a team, we make about the same amount we were making solo, and it doesn't make driving as a team worth it. Every company has something wrong with it, however, you just have to find out what you want to deal with and how it will suit you. As for the safety rating, it has gone down hill because certain states look for our trucks..but we are all working on it!

mile marker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steelbeltsdrumming

steelbeltsdrumming Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Winona, MN
    Don't forget to mention that your 37 cents per mile includes 9 cents per mile per MANDATORY per diem, meaning your base rate is only 27 cents per mile. I can work at a bottom feeder outfit for 31 cents per mile (4 more cents per mile to begin with), write off my per diem at the end of the year on my own taxes, and come out WAY, WAY ahead.

I got the per diem info directly from a Schugel recruiter.

4. old rock n roll

old rock n roll Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    i worked for J & R and i personally thought that they were a great co to drive for, if i had to go back OTR they would be the 1st stop for me, i was in the reefer dept. n they kept me busy and i always got paid my detention time, out 5 and home 2, i am now a local driver n home nightly love n it. keep on rolling, um yes i do miss the road.

p34ch3s Thanks this.
  5. p34ch3s

Feb 15, 2012
    You are right about the per diem, but if you have a great tax person then they will still be able to get you more per diem. I'm still with Schugel and I can't really complain about anything.

mile marker Thanks this.
  6. asdowe765

asdowe765 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm going to orientation Monday in Columbus is the dry van or reefer division getting any good miles

7. p34ch3s

Feb 15, 2012
    @asdowe .. I haul dry van, no complaint on miles. But i haven't heard any one complain on the reefer side either. Reefer division hauls a lot of Kraft that i know of. It just depends on where u live and how often u want to be home :)

asdowe765 Thanks this.
  8. asdowe765

asdowe765 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Thx for the info I think imma stick with dry van hopefully I get to come home on the weekends for a restart at least I live in Columbus

9. p34ch3s

Feb 15, 2012
    You're very welcome. U should have no problems getting home. Most of our freight is in the northeast. I hope u start out well. :: good luck!

10. asdowe765

asdowe765 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I have one more question, do we see any west coast like texas or Arizona I do Miss the west coast

11. mile marker

mile marker Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Going on 5 years now with them and pretty happy. I have to agree with p34ch3s, miles are there. Little slow overall with this time of year, but still decent.
    I'm on the dryside as well. Your in a good location for them, so should work out good. Let us know how it goes and if you need anything.

p34ch3s Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.