Jacking Up Axle Required for Lug Nut Retorque?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Jan 28, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

A tire mechanic mentioned this to me, and I just wanted to know what y’all think. I have never seen a tire tech jack up an axle for a retorque.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    In my opinion the lug nuts should be loosened and re-torqued. Having the weight of the truck or trailer off of the wheel is smart.
    I've seen people try and re-torque an already "torqued" lug nut by tightening and checking for the click on the torque wrench. I ask "How do you know it isn't over torqued"

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Wouldn't you just be chasing your tail?

5. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    Lug nuts loosen only 2 ways. 1- not tightened in the first place. 2- over torquing them which over stretches the stud and the assembly looses it's clamping force.

Heavyd and PE_T Thank this.
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Re torquing is just to verify they stayed tight.
    If you back the nuts off and torque them, you require another re torque after that.

So if they lift the axle up in the air what holds the tires from turning? The park brakes? So now you are trying to torque on tires and drum which are fighting against the brake shoes.

Brakes released, tires chocked and torque them. Nothing fancy.

ODR, AModelCat, daf105paccar and 7 others Thank this.
  7. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    #### this is spot on. I was about to post about this but then i reached this comment.

PE_T and pushbroom Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So I googled this question and most are saying it’s okay to torque on the ground. Apparently the weight of the vehicle won’t prevent it from torquing lug nuts properly as long as it is tightened a bit while in the air. I wonder if there is a mechanical manual that says something about this.

9. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    And can also be loosed by corrosion not removed before installation and also dirt caked on the rim before assembly, and hard strikes to the rim that stretch the studs (usually don’t care because rims bent), and the use of anti-seize causing and under torque situation. And the use of anti-seize cause a over torqued/stretched/stripped thread situation. And and and.... yeah just few more than 2 ways.

Besides that, if they are “over-torqued” to the point the stud is stretched, then you’ll never reach torque when re-torquing. The stud will snap before it ever reaches the proper torque. More than likely your talking about stripped threads, but the same thing applies.

Re-torquing after a certain miles is to confirm no nuts have backed off because of any of the above conditions basically CYA for the tire shops.

Re-torque when the wheel is on the ground. If more than one are found loose jack up the wheel remove it, and find out why it loosened before you re-torque and go bee-bopping down the road.

10. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    over torquing happens when you go to a truck tire place. The ex convicts that work there use 1" impact guns and sit there and hammer on your lugs to about 1000 foot pounds. I have a 1" gun but All you need is a 3/4 and hammer them on. Usually brings them to dead on around 600 foot pound. I usually check a few bolts after i let the truck down with my torque wrnech.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I think most nuts only call for 500ft/lbs.
    1/2 cordless gets them snug then a bit of turn with the torque wrench before it clicks.

ODR, spsauerland, SAR and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.