Jake brake 2011 prostar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Rooster1291979, Jan 5, 2013.

1. soopercrew82

soopercrew82 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2013
    ok i see what ur sayin. not that i agree with the design. but there building them like the older trucks that had the jake pedal on the floor! thats poor engineering designs. but ok. yeah all are prostars are setup to come on when the throttle is released. there all 2013s. i wonder if that featuer can be adjusted or deactivated in the ecm settings!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. soopercrew82

soopercrew82 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2013
    bayle, if u cant make it down a grade w/o touching ur brake pedal, i would suggest more traing for u

4. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm sure it can. For instance, my jake would come on if I wasn't touching the throttle and turned the engine brake on, then it would come on like the older trucks. Though if you have it on and using the fuel pedal then want to use the jake, you just let off the fuel, tap the brakes with just enough pressure to activate the brake lights in turn activating the jake.

5. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm sorry soopercew but I agree with bayle, there are some grades that my jakes never been strong enough to hold me back without using the service brakes.

I've gone over Monteagle in TN several times, I know exactly which gear to be in and can go down at gross without touching my service brakes. Though there are grades I've gone down at gross and needed to use my service brakes a few times. At the top of the hill, say its a 6% grade for 4 miles, truck advisory speed is 55. Ill down shift to 9th (in a 10 speed) and that'll keep me at about 65mph without using the brakes. But to keep it under 60 ill need to use the service brakes once every mile. Just a light touch to slow down about 5mph back to my safe speed that I choose. When I did this it was a 2 lane road, so I want going to slow down to 35 just so I can put it into 8th, so I had to go with 9th gear.

Everyone's different though,

6. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Are you flipping serious? You can go down a 7% 4 mile grade at 78,000 lbs and not touch your brake pedal? Then I bow to you, oh god of trucking. Good luck to you and yours.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  7. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I went down a 8% grade at 73k lbs and didn't touch my brake pedal, but it was in 4th gear lol

8. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    THis is a configuration option which is set by the manufacturer, or a shop via the ECM. My '13 Prostar with a Maxxforce 13 definitely does activate the engine brake upon releasing the accelerator. Don't have to step on the service brake to make it go...which is a bad idea, especially pulling smoothbore tanks.

Bayle Thanks this.
  9. muledriver

muledriver Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    My old boss hated jake brakes because of.the noise so most of the older trucks.didn't have jakes and the newer ones he had the ecm set so they would not work below 25 mph and you had to tap the brakes to start the jake on those trucks . The customer can have the jake set to work any way they want they can be set so you have to tap the brakes or just lift off to start .and you can go down a 12 percent grade at 80000 with no jake brake safely in 3rd gear .

10. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I figure while I don't have working jakes I will just gear down a gear lower than I normally would and work the service brake like they teach you in school. Hopefully I can get a load back to our yard.

11. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

My 2011 with the ISX Cummins works like the old jake....just let off the gas pedal and the jake kicks in.
    I'm sure all of this can be set in the trucks computer.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.