jake brakes; when to use them, when not to

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by o.m.d., Sep 21, 2010.

1. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    And, this thread gives mechanics job security ~~~~~~~

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    well, my $.02, if you drive an autoshift, your jakes are always on, in the low position, even if you think they are off, it's part of the computer control for shifting.

Now, my jakes are always in the medium setting unless I have a heavy load or are in the mtns then they are on high. As for using them on rain/snow/icy conditions, again this can depend. Even these towns that have the NO ENGINE BRAKES or NO JAKE BRAKES signs, I will still use mine on medium, they are so quite that unless the cop is right beside my exhaust they won't know they are on.

I've used mine numerous times in the snow/ice in the mtn's and never had a problem and except once when they did cause me to slide. But it can also depend on the truck, strength of the jakes, and the road condition. If your on hard snow pack and going slow down a hill, jakes on medium or even low will most likely not cause you to slide or lock your wheels, on high, it's a possibilty.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  4. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    "Jake Shifting" You turn the Jakes on, then when shifting you lift your foot from the Go pedal, causing the jakes to come on and dropping the RPM's quickly. Then you complete the shift, then repeat. Nothing screams ROOKIE like "Jake shifting"

TexasBill Thanks this.
  5. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    So in a truck with an auto jake is always on, the manufacture must think it's a good idea to run it all the time then. Thus the reason the only time I switch mine off is when I'm in the yard. Although I can't seem to feel the jake when the switch is off on my auto. I only have an eaton 6 auto in the mixer.

6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    ...whenever a tanker needs to slow down, we need to slow down slow and steady and the jake brake is perfect for that, as there is hardly any surge in the tank when using the jake.

I use the jake about .5 mile before the exit to get down to 50 mph at the exit and then start down shifting with the jake slowing me down until I get to the stop sign while also using the brake pedal to help me get down to the right speed for stopping.

I then turn off the jake to go through the gears gently to get back up to speed...

Once I am empty, then it is slam bamm-thank you ma'am time going up and down the 16 gears...:yes2557:...although I still use the jake to slow down unless I am needing to use the brakes...this is how the boss told us to drive, to save wear on the brakes.

7. fulgrwnmn

fulgrwnmn Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    whitehouse,oh
    rain can be enough to jack knife you, esp if it's a heavy rain and it's not rained in awhile, it will lift all the oil up to the surface, you are now almost on ice, another reason, hydroplanning, like everything else in trucking, it's all situational, some learn the hard way, some get lucky, the ones who simply slow down almost always survive no matter what the conditions.<PERIOD!

TexasBill and JustSonny Thank this.
  8. shiftin'shell

shiftin'shell Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Dayton Virginia
    WHAT HE SAID!!! Mine is always on. And I drive through town all day goin back and forth to the quarry. You are spinning the motor anyway so why not use it? I would rather use the jakes to help. And mine are loud! It's not my truck but he would rather I drive it that way then the other. If you don't drive back in the hills on two lane roads you won't understand. And if that makes me a rookie so be it!

lobes1985 Thanks this.
  9. 338-Dark-Knights

338-Dark-Knights Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    What is done during PTI?
    I would assume it's after a safe start, ensuring parking break is engauged...
    but then I'm lossing where to fit in a test for this system and how would you determine failed / safe 'operating as intended' status (to the examiner?)?

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Medium Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    When you pas a sign saying PLEASE refrain from
    using Jakes, turn 'em off. When some ####### has sprayed out the PLEASE leave 'em on, especially if there is a new bylaw that appeared to empower the ####### with the spraycan.

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Medium Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Wow, the filters are unforgiving! That was a movie title, not a profanity.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.