jake brakes; when to use them, when not to

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by o.m.d., Sep 21, 2010.

1. fallinangel

fallinangel Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Branford Florida
    I use mine to slow or go down west coast mts but get a real kick outta the truck stop jake users

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    That is just wrong. Most municipalities have put laws in forbidding their use so those that aren't considerate enough not use them will know that it is inconsiderate. You don't need a jake brake to preserve your brakes, you use the throttle to do that. Mainly by not pressing so hard on it.

4. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    You must never go anywhere....

Its not inconsiderate to use a jake brake, but it is inconsiderate to over use one.

Now where is this land of no hills, stop lights, stop signs, towns, and shipper/recievers so I never have to use my brakes???

5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    There is one time you must use your jake that no one has mentioned--when approaching a toll booth@3-5AM and you must go thru a regular booth lane to use your ez pass--and the overpaid toll collector is sleeping-reading--watching tv--YOU MUST--go into the low side keep rpms as high as possible--and as you reach booth-BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
    LMAO

6. 338-Dark-Knights

338-Dark-Knights Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    yes, yes all good - but about the ? i op'ed. On the exam for a cdl - how to check for proper operation... what are we talking about: 'Yes sir, my nobs are in tack - and they turn too!'
    I suppose that's better than 'Yes sir, the switch is suppost to do that'

7. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    leave it on.

8. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    If there is no law against it, I use them. I will take any assistance I can get to slow down 80k.

9. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    4th gear for a 6%grade?..you are joking..Right?...4th gear?..umm,ok,im gonna let that pass..maybe you really didnt think about it before you typed it.
    Besides..youmake no mention of weight,which would be the determining factor...trust me...coming down with a light to mty trlr is ALOT diffrent than 80,000-100,000lbs.

Maybe i have just become REALLY accustomed to driving alot of Grade..but...4th gear would be so LOW>>>and...SLOOOOOWWWW.
    I would probably have to log it on my book.. it would take so long..i would get up and go in the back and make a sandwich while i went down the hill.LOL

10. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    4TH gear is generally 10 mph or less....I'll take the high side of the transmission for a 6% grade.

11. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    If the 6% was 30 miles long 4th would be a good idea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.