Jake Use by Real Truckers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Defense lawyer, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Defense lawyer

Defense lawyer Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Defense lawyer
    I’m defending a trucker charged with criminally negligent homocide after he hit black ice and slid into oncoming lane. Log books, and rest time are all good. No alcohol or drugs in his system. He was traveling at or below speed limit per his truck data and no weather related traffic warnings had been given. Roads were clear with blowing snow from roadside snow drifts.

The DA claims that his driving with Jake on medium (2015 freight liner) with a 1/2 load and going slightly faster than cars in slow lane but below speed limit was criminally negligent. She says that the industry standard Requires drivers to turn Jake off in icy or rainy weather (forgetting that road was clear apparently) and 1/2 load was too light for Jake. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Or can you recommend someone to speak with about it? Freightliner won’t talk to me about and the only folks I have found say they have the Jake on all the time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    While driving in ice, snow, or rains the cdl manual states jake brakes should never be used. After that I'm not sure that there is an actual law prohibiting their use in adverse conditions.

QuietStorm, x1Heavy and Woodys Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I had already responded to where you asked in another existing thread.

x1Heavy and Defense lawyer Thank this.
  5. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    He was one of those idiots that think braking with half an axle in bad conditions is smart. Probably huffed paint as a child.Any training he received in his career advised against it.

But I don't think idiocy rises to the level of criminal negligence.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Hopefully he wasn't driving in (possible) icy conditions in Texas.....

tinytim and 06driver Thank this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I use Jakes in slick conditions all the time. Lower levels, lower speeds, etc. He lost control, most likely (in the absence of other factors like some idiot cutting him off) he was going too fast.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And another factor that needs to be looked at is what type of transmission was in play. If an auto, some can be very aggressive with downshifting, especially in max retard mode. An aggressive downshift, full retard mode, and slick ice, some of the drive wheels are going to lock up. I can almost guarantee it. New Freightliners are very aggressive with downshifting in stage 3 mode and in auto mode.

Stupid censor. ###### = engine brake

[​IMG]

9. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    If you’re passing most of the 4 wheelers in the snow you’re going too #### fast. I had an idiot team driver that passed cars going down the mountains in Colorado i70 in a snow storm. Dropped his butt the next day to the Salt Lake City terminal.

Fuelinmyveins and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If the interaxle differential wasn’t locked in, the only thing that happens when you engage the Jake on slippery surfaces is the the rear drive axle will skid ONE set of duals. The other three are just coasting.

If it was truly black ice, sometimes there’s nothing you can do. Any little change in momentum, even a slight wind, can break the traction of ALL the tires, resulting in irrecoverable loss of control of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the time of year for it or I’d say the best demonstration would be to go for a ride in a truck on a snow covered road with the Jake on... nothing is going to happen.

11. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Agree with this. I would check if the owner's manual on trucks state any type of caution with the use of the jake brake. All I know is that it is common knowledge that you shouldn't use your engine brake in wet or icy conditions, but I have never heard of a law against it.

andhe78 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.