Jalopnik wrote an article on gliders.

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Tb0n3, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Of course The NY Times has a paywall, so you might want to read it on Jalop

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  3. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Dont forget to check the box for a jar of vaseline when you place your order...:biggrin_2559:

4. XH0TGARBAGEX

XH0TGARBAGEX Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2016
    It's funny how nobody addresses the concern of the drivers and small fleet owners.

Emissions systems maintenance can tank an O/O or small fleet. This is true.

There needs to be protections in place for small fleets. If that doesn't happen, then gliders, rebuilds, cheats, and deletes will continue.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Everybody says that, but is it really true. Outside of the maxxforce fiasco has it really been that bad? Maybe the problem is small carriers are hauling for too cheap and just running the older trucks into the ground, while the repairs on the newer trucks actually make them fix it.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I've actually not had much trouble with either my Cummins or my Detroits. As long as you keep the DEF tanks full and keep your fuel tanks above half in winter.

My ELD however lasts about 14-21 days between complete failures, so my emissions system is rock solid by comparison. :D

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I personally know two people whose trucks spent over 100 days in the shop in the first year of ownership. 1 barely survived, the other ended up losing the truck. Brand new trucks. Sure most of the shop bill is covered by warranty, but the payment still comes due and its tough to make a payment when your truck is down for a third of the year.

But i also know guys who have had no issues. It's almost like its a crap shoot with new trucks, no rhyme or reason why one is nearly trouble free and the other cant go 10 days without having to visit the dealer.

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Lemons have always been a thing.

9. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Lemons are like a rarity ...this crap starts at 50/50 and ends up certainly screwing you by 700k miles ...

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.