JCAT introducing himself

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thediscgolfdude, Jul 19, 2018.

1. thediscgolfdude

thediscgolfdude Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2018
    What's up fellow drivers?! Jcat here! I'm currently seriously considering becoming an OTR driver. I've been a taxi driver and Uber/Lyft "chaffeur" for quite some time. I've racked up 500k miles over the years, so I'm pretty experienced when it comes to that profession. I'm very used to long hours, especially now that Uber has driven our fare rates so low. Lot's of experience driving in a dangerous city in all kinds of conditions. Currently drive a compact SUV. That's a little bit of background for you.

Anyway, I am really excited about driving team OTR, and of course, the more I research, the more questions I have. I've boiled it down to a couple of specialties, both involving OTR. I'm really only interested in team driving, not for the extra money (that's only part of the incentive), but because it seems like if you do hit it off with someone and they are good drivers, you are safer because of it. Not really interested in hanging out much in truck stops or sleeping in their lots overnight.

Since I'm down with team long distance driving between points A and B, the 2 positions I'm most interested in are dry van OTR (the more distance between A and B, the better, as my personal preference. The reason being, I want to travel and see the more remote parts of the country. I'd actually prefer to be out in less populated regions for the most part.

The other position that seems appealing is flatbed OTR. So in other words, flatbed but with really long distances between points A and B. I'm in good shape, but I know that flatbed is physically taxing. I'm in my mid 40s, so I need more rest between the rigors of manual labor. Also, I figure the muscles and conditioning involved in flatbed probably require a little time before one's body is fully built up to handle that type of work consistently. But I love the idea of having a job that is also keeping you in shape! I guess my question is do such flatbed positions exist? Where the trip itself is super long and allows the body to recuperate a little before unloading and getting a serious workout again?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    Do you have a CDL combat driver license?

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Go to youtube. A Guy there named; Red Viking Trucker. He's into teams. Got info and all.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  5. thediscgolfdude

Jul 16, 2018
    no

6. thediscgolfdude

Jul 16, 2018
    Yeah, I've actually some of RVT's videos, I guess my question that wasn't answered is if there are flatbed jobs that require significantly less physical labor and more really long distance driving. I suspect there are, but I've no where to look for those jobs, and what industries they'd be more likely to exist in.

7. thediscgolfdude

Jul 16, 2018
    I just want to add, I don't mind the physical labor, but I'd need to have some breaks in between the rigorous stuff. When I say "breaks", I just mean making a long delivery trip, like from one end of the country to the other, north south, east west whatever.

8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yes.... The Gypsum manufacturers I go to. I noticed the trailers covered in tarps. The drivers just secure the tarps. A place in Arkansas I saw six mailboxes with companies names on them. They sure have a constant flow of flatbeds going out. Loaded with drywall .... and?

9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I do flatbed. Our trips are usually 1000+ miles but we do of course occasionally get shorter ones. Britton Transport out of Grand Forks, ND(flatbed unit is based out of Sioux Falls, SD but they hire pretty much out of anywhere depending on your home time needs).

10. thediscgolfdude

Jul 16, 2018
    thanks for the info!

11. thediscgolfdude

Jul 16, 2018
    I guess I should add I'm Texas based, and would love to have the home time there, so I guess a Houston, Dallas or Austin home. I have family, including a toddler.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.