JET-Lag's adventures with Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Pegasus, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    JET-Lag arrived in Fordyce, Arkansas just before the bad weather started last night. They are saying that the main electric pole for that city is down (I am watching the 10 PM report from last night right now) and that there is a gas leak somewhere around Highway 8 and that some houses were destroyed but, thankfully, no one was injured even though some people were trapped in their houses at the time. For a while last night, either JET-Lag or I had problems had trouble with calling the other one's cell so who ever could not get through would text the other and the other would attempt a call and that always worked. I just talked to him and the plant that he was supposed to pick up from at 7 AM has no power (of course) and he had to talk to the security guard while I was on the phone with hm so we had to get off the phone. He had no problems even though he said it was somewhat scary. I told him that as of 10 PM last night parts of Highway 8 were closed off so he is now aware of that.

He did tell me before he took of last night that he was supposed to deliver in Terre Haute tomorrow but during the weather incident, he told me that if the weather delays him that he would not be in trouble (I guess he would contact Terry(?) his Driver Manager and she would reschedule his delivery) which was something I was at first worried about because there were bad weather warnings all over his route with some of those that extended into Indiana being scheduled to not go away until sometime today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pegasus

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    Tuesday was busy for me. Took Miss Kitty and Lieutenant Starbuck to the veterinarian for their semiyearly exams - they are in excellent health and Miss Kitty's plaque problem on her teeth has fixed itself. Then, took my mother-in-law to the bank and grocery store. Then, got a call from JET-Lag "Can you meet me at the NLR terminal so I can take you to dinner?" Me, "About when?" Him, "About 9 PM". Me, "I will take a nap because today was busy and then I will meet you." So, we had a nice romantic dinner at the Petro.

His pay that is coming in tomorrow is for 2838 miles at 36 cpm for a gross of $1081.68 (this includes tarp pay and reconsignment pay). His total pay from Maverick for 2011 which includes his orientation and training pay (he started training on August 28, 2011) was 8089.61 which makes that pay being for 4 full months with about 2 months or so being at training pay so his next year (going by that amount and multiplying by 3, his pay next year should be over $24k because he will not be going back to training pay and he should be getting raises as time goes by and should hopefully be getting more miles per week as time goes by).

4. Pegasus

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    Well, JET-Lag and, IIRC, 2 or 3 other Maverick trucks were in Houston making drop offs and they all ended up with detention pay partially because the consignee takes off one layer and runs it through a machine then takes another layer off etc and partially because they have only one line going into their plant which means whether you are loading or unloading you are in the same line. It took like 6 hours for hubby to get unloaded which meant 4 hours of detention pay. The only thing was that it meant that he lost out on the load he was pick up a mile away from that consignee because he was supposed to pick that load up at 2 PM and was still in the line to be unloaded at his scheduled pickup time.

But, on the good side, he says he is getting use of his Twic card because his replacement pickup is at a port.

On a hilarious note, he kept trying to tell me that Cape Canaveral was in Texas (UMMM, I grew up in Florida and was very easily able to see the launches that took off from Cape Canaveral from the houses I grew up in - all were within 40 miles of Cape Canaveral!) Turns out he meant Johnson Space Center! :biggrin_25526:

5. Pegasus

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    Transmission problems with the truck again. Been in the shop/Freightliner since Friday - the first 34 hours was his reset so his breakdown pay did not start until after his 34 hour reset ended. Well, at least he got a chance to go out target shooting. I would normally go with him target shooting but am currently having problems with staying upright if I stand for more than about 5 minutes at a time. He also unexpectedly got to watch the Superbowl - his team lost and my won LOL.

6. Pegasus

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    I was just rereading some of the posts I made on here. Too bad you lose the "Edit" button on a post after a while. Let's see if anyone can tell me the post number of the post where I used the word "access" where I should have used the word "abscess" LOL

Oh, and hubby got back into his truck at about 2:30 PM yesterday so he is back on the road.

7. bradreed

bradreed Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Harrisburg, Illinois

That would be post number 19!!! LOL

8. Pegasus

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    That is correct!

Had to make 2 meetups with JET-Lag, 1 yesterday and 1 this morning. Yesterday's was to get his laundry bag to him and take the keys from his room that I hung up while he was on the truck last week to him. Turns out I was right about the keys I had hung up, they DID belong to his inoperable Acura car and the keys he wanted were a spare set to the Cascadia he drives so I had left those keys in his bedroom which led to my having to meet him this morning to get those keys to him and a copy of the magazine put out by Pilot/Flying J so he could read the article about Maverick Transportation. Now he has all the stuff he needs/wants for the truck. I need to get off here for now as Red has a vet visit at 9AM and I need to leave in about 30 minutes.

9. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Glad you mentioned the article in Challenge magazine. I never pick it up so had no idea about the article. I checked it out online,good stuff.

10. hesgoneagain

hesgoneagain Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Denton, North Carolina
    Thanks for mentioning the article Just read it online myself. Yes, good stuff.

11. Pegasus

Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    The North Little Rock Pilot still has the March issue of the Challenge magazine, you are looking for the April issue if you are looking for the Maverick article. The March issues are near the auto entrance and the April issue is near the truck entrance (what I call the auto entrance is closest to the gasoline islands and what I call the truck entrance is nearest to the fuel (diesel) islands).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.