Jo Dog / Single Axle Jeep

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Don Muirhead, Aug 23, 2017.

1. heavyhaulershotcaller

heavyhaulershotcaller Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2017
    South Central U.S.
    Well you got me. I am real curious now.

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don Muirhead

Don Muirhead Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Hello all,

I thought I'd update this thread just in case someone else is looking for the same info. To bring it to a close here is the official California response from the head guy in charge whom I had a very good and long conversation with. Single axle jeeps "Joe Dogs" are not legal in California period. The reason has nothing to do with weight distribution, spacing, less than 8 feet over 8 feet etc. California has decided they are not stable. In braking California has decided there is a chance of wandering or jackknife. So there you have it. I hope this might help others in the future. I have decided to purchase a single axle jeep and not alter my new truck and never enter California. As an end note, they are completely legal not under permit. If you can come up with the right lengths and such and under 80K.

Don

LoneCowboy, Tug Toy, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  4. westernstarheavyhaul

westernstarheavyhaul Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2017
    I can't say I've ever had any trouble with jackknifing. Even running with it down in winter conditions and empty. Any other single axle jeep questions just ask!

cke, Professional Passenger and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Professional Passenger

Professional Passenger Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dad's truck
    Me neither...

cke Thanks this.
  6. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Hello Don,
    Some notes on using a jump jeep. They are about the best way to add capacity to a heavy haul tractor, short of buying a tri-drive tractor. Tri-drives are now a recognized combination in all of Canada now with the recent TAC changes, and have always been legal in the US. Additionally, California likes them, and will issue a permit if a special heavy haul inspection is scheduled prior to a permit request. Once inspected, this inspection report becomes part of any future permit request, with a validation # issued to the tractor.
    But a jump jeep is a good alternative (except California). I used one for over 10 years behind my Western Star, all over the US and Canada. I encountered no jurisdictions that did not recognize it for overweight permits, and many western states allow it for legal loads, as well. If you get one, try to get both the air dump on the airbags to help "jumping" it up on your frame ramps when not using it, and a flip neck on the jeep nose to lengthen your inner bridge if desired. (Like Alberta) K-Line and Aspen both make excellent jeeps. mine was K-line. Your 5th wheel height when using it is slightly increased, but most trailers have adjustable necks so you make up for it. (I know of no regulation in Canada requiring a 102" width axle on it)

Good luck...

kylefitzy, AModelCat and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    Very well written. Great information. This will hopefully help many others.

Thank you,

kylefitzy and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    Well tomorrow is the big day. one last question. where do i set the jeep kingpin on my tractor. between the drives? over the last drive? i assume im trying to make all 3 axles the same weight? the jeep 5th wheel from XL does not slide. only slide is on my tractor. is there a magic spread distance from my last drive to the jeep axle? do i need at least 8' for legal reasons?

thank you all for your advice,

don

9. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    here is the new rig... see jpg below.

Hydraulic neck & flip. 48' closed, Cal legal without the jeep. opened up multiple possibilities.

don

Attached Files:

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    It's an Etnyre?

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    XL Specialized

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.