Jo Dog / Single Axle Jeep

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Don Muirhead, Aug 23, 2017.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm slipping.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don Muirhead

Don Muirhead Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
  4. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Nice!
    I've been working along the same path as you for all the same reasons.
    Picked this one up for cheap. IMG_20180121_114244800_HDR.jpg
    It's getting a new king pin plate along with an extended 5th wheel slide to get the weight up on the truck. The way it is right now it's about a 55/45 split.
    I'm right at a 10' spread the way it's setting now. What is yours? Looks quite a bit longer.

SAR, snowman_w900, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    my photo is deceiving. i have 8' from center of last drive to center of jeep. i have a 30% - 70% weight spread at that distance. my jeep king pin is centered on my drives.

snowman_w900, cke, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    snowman_w900, cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. westernstar1

westernstar1 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2018
    houston tx
    so are they legal in California or not I was planning on getting a Caltrans inspection on the set up I'm sending out there

8. Don Muirhead

Aug 23, 2017
    i have been told no single axle jeep will ever pass inspection. let me know how it works out.

snowman_w900 and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Don't plan a trip to California using a single axle jeep, they are NOT LEGAL. They will not schedule an inspection for one or issue a permit for a combination including one, simple as that.
    Only tandem or triaxle jeeps are allowed, and any trailer combinations must have be common air suspensions among other technical requirements. Boosters, for instance, must be connected to the trailer suspension by a balance beam, not the trailer frame itself. California legal lowbeds are very specialized, that's why there is sort of a cottage industry of California heavy haul companies doing deliveries in California for out of state compnaies.
    Good luck with your haul, that's why oversize and overweight loads command higher rates when coming or leaving California..

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  10. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Except for when dirtbags bootleg their non-Cali legal trailers in and wreck the rates

SAR, 3noses and cke Thank this.
  11. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Yes, but they usually get caught, sooner or later, The CalTrans officers who do the specialized inspections are very, very expert at what they do and what they are looking for.
    If caught, the worst possible penalty is huge fine, unload at scale, repower with a California legal lowbed to deliver, then haul illegal trailer out of state as a load on another California legal trailer. The cost here is enough to wake up any bootlegger for a while...I know a company that had it happen to them, at Shasta..Not worth it..

LoneCowboy and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.