Job hopping...let my experience be an example

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Voyager1968, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Hopefully in due time my boss also gets the message. I know a driver my boss put in a brand new truck autoshift. Within a week the driver ask for and got his old 18 speed manual truck back.

I was in a 2010 18 speed manual t660. My truck was in the shop several times for Regen problems and I was in a slightly older 2006 peterbilt with a cat engine. I actually liked the truck better and now it's my assigned truck. It has a larger rear window with less blindspots, two fuel tanks instead of the single tank the kw had, I run 100 miles per day so now I can go quite a while before I need fuel. It has NO Regen, NO DEF, or any other emissions garbage. You can have those emissions engines, they suck. One more thing, don't know what makes the noise but the t660 I was driving whistled at highway speeds sounded like a kazoo. Extremely annoying if you like driving with the windows open.

The truck also has dual stacks and I just love that sound. Nothing quite like the sound of a Jake brake hammering away going down hill loaded. It sounds like a truck should.

I'm not a huge fan of these modern hunks of rolling plastic. Gimme a mid 90s kw w900 or 379 with a big cat engine and massive pipes, and I'd be happy. A truck from that era in good condition not a pile of junk.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Apparently autoshifts also do not cope well with surge. The pcm doesn't know that your pulling a smooth bore tanker and it shifts too much and at the wrong time.

Toomanybikes and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I'm just preparing myself to stick it out at least a year or two before deciding on whether or not to jump over to some other place. My current workplace has it's pay and correlating work assignments bouncing all around. These high checks one week and low checks the next remind me too much of my short years doing the long-haul thing.
    When I started out driving day-cabs, it was quite a high paying thing. Now it just seems to be going back to the ugly side with the current outfit. Nonetheless, after a little over two years over here, I'm going to cut the cord with them in a respectable manner once I get the okay from one of the other outfits I put into.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    One of the really good things about Walton is consistance pay. $1020 per week every week, it's easier to budget when you know what's going to be. I also think $1020 per week is fairly decent for a trucker that has only had his CDL 1 year and 3 months, AND be home every evening. I get to see the wife and kids everyday, sleep in my own bed, shower at home, do my laundry at home.

My work where my truck is parked is 24 minutes from home, so my expenses and travel time to work are minimal. I think I spend less then 25 bucks in gas per week

6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    A year from my start day I will ask for a little more $$

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you have a wife, why are you doing laundry ANYWHERE? A good wife would take care of that for you...along with the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and other womanly chores.

[/ducks]:biggrin_25511::biggrin_2559:

8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Why, what did your mother say?

9. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Lol she has been on maternity leave since we just had another baby boy Noah so recently she been doing most of it. I still will do several loads on my day off. She returns to work full time in a week then we both have to do it.

10. stratmaster5

stratmaster5 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I don't know. I didn't listen to her lol

ChaoSS Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Just had one of them myself...

IMG_20180121_1923319.jpg

My wife took 3-1/2 months off and is back at work now, so I've taken the last month off. She still does the laundry, cooks, cleans, and shops for the groceries.

I use "too much soap" when I do the laundry, set off the smoke alarm when I cook, and buy "too much junk food" when I go to the grocery store. Even my version of cleaning isn't up to her standards. Set those precidents right from the start when she moved in, so she actually tells me NOT to do them...less work for her to just do them herself.

I fix stuff...that's my job around the house. :cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.