Jobs that require NoMax suits and respirators

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KiloByte, Oct 8, 2011.

1. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Nomex is not chemical resistant!

I had a driver delivering sulfuric acid to a refinery in Phila. He was wearing his full PVC chem suit while the receiver wore a PVC Jacket and hard hat w/ face shield.

When the hose broke, the acid struck the receiver in the side of his head blowing his helmet and face shield off. This was an older refinery and this spot had a 'horse trough' full of water instead of a safety shower. The receiver jumpped into the tub without stripping off.

Adding water to acid makes a huge heat reaction, the shipper estimated the acid inside his chem jacket reached over 400 degrees when the water hit it. [my driver said he did not yell until he hit the water!] and he ended up needing skin grafts on his neck AND on his butt where the acid ran down the chem jacket and ate thru his nomex and clothing...

Heat & sweat IS part of using PPE but consider the alternmatives...

They do sell a vest full of pockets for ice packs to be used in total encapsulating suits [yup, keeps the farts in!] since they take so long to don and remove...

I know alot fo my acid drivers used to 'test' the shower leaving it run on hot days until the water temp got cold enough to cool them off.

Injun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    I never they was, I stated these people will wear an ADDITIONAL plastic suit...or Chemical suit OVER their company issued overalls when dealing with the chemicals such as acid.

Just to double check, I'm talking about TWO sets of clothing, a set of OVERALLs and a CHEMICAL suit worn in conjunction with each other.

4. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Hell I haul water on a temp. basis doing weekend work (may go full time soon) and I just wear jeans and a t-shirt (hardhat of course). When I delivered Frac equipment on a step deck I still wore the same. I've yet to have ANYONE say a word to me as to needing anything else on.

5. RobertSmith

RobertSmith Medium Load Member

i drove for the oilfields,

Nomax are hot, they don't breath much
    Respirators are for when you come in contact with H2S gas. I can kill you fast. you will wear a monitor on your shirt that detects it. And only have to wear the mask when you come in contact with the gas.

6. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I go into refineries a lot and have to wear either nomex coveralls or long sleeve shirt and pants that are nomex. I only pick up spent catalyst but would rather have it than not. I wear the carhart brand and its good but yes you will still sweat. Its a must for anybody in a refinery and although i dont like it, would rather have it on. Any flatbedder can tell you that we are usually stuck wearing a hard hat, safety glasses, jeans, boots, ear plugs, safety vests and of course nomex coveralls. This is because we are always on a job site somewhere.

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Was this guy Charlie Morecraft? I can see wearing nomex at a refinery. But hauling just gasoline and diesel I think it's a waste of time. They offer the nomex to us as our uniforms but you'll pay over a $1000 when you get done. The fires and the burns of a driver at a loading and unloading facilities just do not warrent the use of nomex. A respirator is also a waste of time for gasoline. However, in a refinery or anywhere production is going on or opening of large tanks I would trust the monitors first then the respirators. H2S is not fun and is deadly. Hard hats are our pain in the butt.

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Currently around the rigs we are required to wear level 3 FRC which is cotton or canvas that has been treated with FRC chemical. They do not require us to wear a respirator, Hardhat, safety Glasses, Steel toe boots, either a jump suit or pants and shirt. I currently unload in Occidental and Exxox at the rigs daily, at least for now. I also have to have a H2S dector affexed to my hardhat. Alarms mean evac to a designated safe area till the all clear or you get futher direction.

The Ruffnecks may have respirators I do not know, but none of us drivers carry them.

9. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    Ya, I don't see overalls worn by Water or Sand drivers. These guys generally wear the same as you, jeans, shirt, steel toes, and a hard hat. Interestingly enough, I see the something with water transfer guys?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.