Judge puts English only on Voter forms

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Harley, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Harley

Harley Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Missouri
    A Polk county judge has ordered Iowa Secretary of State Michael Mauro to stop using languages other than English in the states official voter registration forms.
    District Judge Douglas Staskal ruled in favor of U.S. Rep. Steve King, an Iowa Republican who sued state officials last year, contending they were violating the states English-language law. He brought the suit against Gov. Chet Culver, who previously served as secretary of state, and Mauro, contending they have placed illegal voting forms on the Secretary of State's web site.
    The dispute began shortly before Election Day in 2006, when King demanded that Culver remove voting information in languages other than English from the web site.
    The state offered information in Spanish, Laotian, Bosnian and Vietnamese.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Put it this way, millions of $$$ would be saved if all levels of government printed ballots and drivers license tests in English Only. IMHO, the CDL tests should only be in English period. Drivers who drive in the US should be proficient in ENGLISH. If I drove into Quebec I would learn French and If I drove in Mexico, I would learn to speak Spanish. Why is that we are expected to accommodate other's language barriers? My great-grandfather came to this country speaking only German and you can bet that he learned English ASAP, because no one would speak German to him.

What about textbooks?????
    LAUSD has text books printed in Spanish, Farsi, all of the Chinese dialects, Tagalog, and Vietnamese all at the tax-payers expense; but not in French, German, Swedish, Russian, Italian, Flemish, Dutch, Hebrew, Cherokee, Lenape, and Welsh. Hmmm.....is that not a pile of *&^%%$^??? Is that not racist???

4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Why should I have to press 1 for ENGLISH anyway?:yes2557:

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Cuz if you press 2, you can't understand it.

If you press 0, you can't understand them either LOL

I hate tech support in other countries.....They may be smart. But what good is it, if I can't understand a %$## thing they are saying.

6. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Just like when I had a Dell (Dude...:biggrin_25523:) and would have to call tech support. You could definitely tell that the "techs" were not techs and that they reading from a script. :biggrin_25516:

7. Cybergal

Oct 20, 2008
    THERE have been many times when calling DISH NETWORK, that I had to ask for someone that I could understand.
    Alot of them did not like it, but frankly I didn't and don't care.....:biggrin_25522:

8. Harley

Harley Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Missouri
    Good point. Yes it is racist but it only seems to be racist if were talking about another nationality but never seems to be racist when its against the American citizens. Were suppose to put up with the BS and deal with it when foreigners (illegals) dont have to. They come over here and were expected to assimilate to them when its suppose to be the other way around.

9. Harley

Harley Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Missouri
    DirecTV used to be the same way but now you either get an American or a foriegner that speaks very good English. Alot better than it used to be.

10. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

My wife took Spanish in high school and on occasion, it has been handy. Like the time when someone was bad mouthing us in Wally World and my wife replied back in Spanish....heh, talk about Priceless:biggrin_2559:

11. Cybergal

Oct 20, 2008
    I speak SPANISH very well from being in the PEACE CORPS and residing in Bogota, Columbia for a few years.

But I still have trouble with heavy accents. If they are Spanish operators, I can tell them to speak there language and we can talk. But if they are from some where else, Iam in big trouble right off the bat.

I have trouble understanding doctors with heavy accents as well.

NOTE EDIT ( I still feel they should speak English clearly, even though a second language here is established between me and the operator) This is there responsibility as far as Iam concerned.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.